Cambrian fossil identification

fossilfinder100

This is fine sandstone with lots of tiny shell fragments. It has been

split once and both inside surfaces are shown although the larger piece contains

more prominent features. I believe it is from the Eau Claire fm./Cambrian. The

fossils I am curious about are cone shaped casts and molds (some are very

slightly curved), and the really small branch or root shaped cast which fell out when

splitting this rock.

post-21557-0-06318500-1468116602_thumb.jpg

post-21557-0-49097500-1468119013_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilfinder100

The pictures are to out of focus to see any detail, which makes it impossible to identify with any certainty.

Tony

The pictures are to out of focus to see any detail, which makes it impossible to identify with any certainty.

Tony

i added a new pic, its a little better quality.

What about the little one? I was thinking bryozoan but from my understanding they didn't appear until the Ordovician.

I can only see Hyoliths and one Brachiopod... Which "little one" did you mean? Can you provide better pictures and close ups?

interesting suggestion,Prem

SSF's rule!!!

Edited by doushantuo

Salterella, same like Volborthella both are agglutinating, but I can not see this in the pictures. And both can be assigned to SSF, but I think the fossils shown above are to large...

The brachiopod is nearly undeterminable with those pictures (and I guess to badly preserved to specify it at all).

The Lower Cambrian conical-shaped Salterella (Billings,1861) is described here, if anyone needed it : Unusually preserved Salterella from the Lower Cambrian Forteau Formation of Newfoundland.pdf

Also in Small shelly fauna from the upper Lower Cambrian Bastion and Ella Island Formations,North-East Greenland - Christian B. Skovsted, among other species : https://www.researchgate.net/publication/250070763_Small_shelly_fauna_from_the_upper_Lower_Cambrian_Bastion_and_Ella_Island_Formations_North-East_Greenland

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library