Fossil? From New Zealand

gen

Hello everyone,

I found these rocks at the base of a sedimentary-layered cliff by the beach of Port Waikato in New Zealand.

They look like they have plant-like fossil imprints on them.

Any idea what they could be?

Thanks,

Jay

20161204_220722.jpg

20161204_220741.jpg

20161204_220912.jpg

Yeah, it looks like fossilized plant debris. I can't identify anything specifically, though, it is so hashed up. That rock on the lower left of the first photo seems to have some larger tissue samples, and vaguely looks like larger pieces of calamites, which may be identifiable.

And the matrix (the rock) looks like what Carboniferous plants would be found in. Kind of a grey mudstone. Not that it has to be that type of rock, but it usuaully signals a freshwater swamp environment, where you would find a lot of plants.

• I found this Informative 2

I agree. Plant "hash". 

Lots of detritus forms in swamps and ponds and lakes during/after storms. 

Not seeing anything there readily recognizable, other than being plant.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015     MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg   Screenshot_202410.jpg      IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The Port Waikato region looks to have Jurassic - onward sediments. Waikato landscapes

landforms1.gif

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Not familiar at all with Jurassic material but those do look very similiar to the carboniferous hash plates I have found here!  I would have guessed some calamites, cordaites and the one oval shape looks almost cone like.  I have found ones like that a long time ago and never ID'ed them.  They may have been worn cross segments of  stems.  Cool finds regardless and I bet if you keep looking you'll find better specimens! :D

I have some virtually identical plant hash from the Lance Formation in Wyoming. Matrix looks the same as well!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John