Finally, a Friday morning excursion!

masonboro37

I have not had many of my Friday morning excursions in the last few years. On December 2, 2016 I met some fossiling friends at a local quarry here in Southeastern N.C. for a day full of friendship and fossil hunting. We could not have asked for a more beautiful day! Sunshine and a splendid, cool breeze enveloped us all day. The main area which I hunted consisted of Eocene, Castle Hayne Formation sediment and then I made my way to the Cretaceous, Pee Dee area.

Just wanted to share some of my finds from that awesome day.

Libby

This is an interesting sponge colony, species of Cliona sp. Eocene, Castle Hayne Formation. This sponge was a predator and would bore into it's prey.

unnamed (4).jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

unnamed (5).jpgLunulites sp, Castle Hayne Formation byrozoan colony.  

unnamed (6).pngEocarpilius blowi, Eocene, Castle Hayne Formation crab carapace.

unnamed (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 2

unnamed (11).jpg

unnamed (9).jpg

unnamed (8).pngEntemnotrochus nixus, Eocene, Castle Hayne Formation.

• I found this Informative 3

Nice finds! It sounds like you had a great time with friends. Congratulations! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

5 minutes ago, darctooth said:

Nice finds! It sounds like you had a great time with friends. Congratulations! 

Thank you! It was a great day.

48 minutes ago, masonboro37 said:

This is an interesting sponge colony, species of Cliona sp. Eocene, Castle Hayne Formation. This sponge was a predator and would bore into it's prey.

Great trip report--thanks for taking us along. Always fun to share the fossil hunting experience with like-minded friends.

Cliona sponges (though likely different species) exist to this day. Technically, they are not really predatory (they are filter feeders like all sponges) but they do have a habit of boring into the limestone substrate using acids to carve out interior chambers (think ant or termite colony) as the colony grows. They pump water through the entire colony with special flagellated cells called choanocytes. On many present day reefs corals are dying (disease, bleaching due to a warming climate, and overgrowth with algae and other organisms). Coral reefs in many areas (like the Florida Keys) are changing over to sponge and algal reefs. There are several species of clionid corals that are boring into the limestone framework of the reef weakening it. Bioeroded reefs like this are fragile and crumble when strong storms move through an area.

Your pictured clionid colony is fascinating. It's actually the internal cast of the shape of the hollow interior space of the maze-like colony. Fascinating that a simple life form like a sponge can create such a complicated structure as this with no central nervous system (really without any highly differentiated organs at all). The marine world is one of my areas of interest beyond fossils so I thought I'd take a moment to pass along some knowledge.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Love the little echi's and that gastropod steinkern looks coprolitic enough to have make me chuckle.

• I found this Informative 2

Libby!   :D 

Great to see you got out, and posting your finds here. 

Glad you were able to finally make a trip out to collect. 

Thanks for the great report!

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015     MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png  PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png   Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg   Screenshot_202410.jpg      IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

(Sigh...)  Makes me want to be there.  :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

The mark of a good trip report.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice finds Libby, glad you could get some hunting in:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Libby, it was good to see you get out for a hunt. That crab looked even better in person. Can you post some more pics of the echinoid under the crab? A bottom pic and a side view?

• I found this Informative 1

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Cool.  Thanks for the fun trip report.  Love that crab carapace.  

Libby, liked the report and especially that sponge!...got alot of them doing borings from around here. Thanks for showing us. Regards, Chris  

On 12/9/2016 at 10:17 AM, ynot said:

:dinothumb:nice finds!

Tony

Thank you Tony! 

On 12/9/2016 at 10:20 AM, digit said:

Great trip report--thanks for taking us along. Always fun to share the fossil hunting experience with like-minded friends.

Cliona sponges (though likely different species) exist to this day. Technically, they are not really predatory (they are filter feeders like all sponges) but they do have a habit of boring into the limestone substrate using acids to carve out interior chambers (think ant or termite colony) as the colony grows. They pump water through the entire colony with special flagellated cells called choanocytes. On many present day reefs corals are dying (disease, bleaching due to a warming climate, and overgrowth with algae and other organisms). Coral reefs in many areas (like the Florida Keys) are changing over to sponge and algal reefs. There are several species of clionid corals that are boring into the limestone framework of the reef weakening it. Bioeroded reefs like this are fragile and crumble when strong storms move through an area.

Your pictured clionid colony is fascinating. It's actually the internal cast of the shape of the hollow interior space of the maze-like colony. Fascinating that a simple life form like a sponge can create such a complicated structure as this with no central nervous system (really without any highly differentiated organs at all). The marine world is one of my areas of interest beyond fossils so I thought I'd take a moment to pass along some knowledge.

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Love the little echi's and that gastropod steinkern looks coprolitic enough to have make me chuckle.

Hi Ken, thank you for the information and I really appreciate it. I kept searching for cliona sponges (fossil record) in my books and online. You really helped me to understand the sponge and it's life cycle...amazing by the way. I thought the same about the gastropod. It looks much better all cleaned up, still coprolitic resemblance though. 

Libby

On 12/9/2016 at 10:58 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Libby!   :D 

Great to see you got out, and posting your finds here. 

Glad you were able to finally make a trip out to collect. 

Thanks for the great report!

Regards, 

Hi Tim, been a while! Thanks for checking out my trip and hope all is well. I brought home some buckets of matrix from the Eocene area an I am finding crinoid specimens and all sorts of little fascinating micro's.

Libby 

On 12/9/2016 at 11:07 AM, JohnJ said:

Hi John, it was a great day! Hoping to be able to go back in the Spring, maybe.

Libby 

On 12/9/2016 at 11:31 AM, jcbshark said:

Nice finds Libby, glad you could get some hunting in:)

Thanks so much! You have been finding some excellent finds at your stomp'n ground!

Libby  

On 12/9/2016 at 0:24 PM, sixgill pete said:

Libby, it was good to see you get out for a hunt. That crab looked even better in person. Can you post some more pics of the echinoid under the crab? A bottom pic and a side view?

Hello Don,

It was nice to see you and all our fossiling friends, fantastic day all around! I sure can post pic's of the little echi. Will do that later today when I have extra time. Your Ric tooth sure is an awesome find by the way.

Libby

44 minutes ago, masonboro37 said:

Hi Ken, thank you for the information and I really appreciate it. I kept searching for cliona sponges (fossil record) in my books and online. You really helped me to understand the sponge and it's life cycle...amazing by the way. I thought the same about the gastropod. It looks much better all cleaned up, still coprolitic resemblance though.

Other than some microscopic calcareous or siliceous spicules for support, sponges are pretty much soft-bodied organisms so--like the Essexella jellyfish of Mazon Creek fame--it's a wonder we have these in the fossil record at all. The internal cast of the chambers in this boring (as in "drilling" not "lame") sponge are one way of having their existence preserved through the eons. Really cool fossil--that one would have been a trip maker for me (though I do like the "gastropoop" door stop as well). :P

Looks like it was a fun trip. Post some of the finds from the micro-matrix you brought home (if you can photograph them).

Cheers.

-Ken

On 12/9/2016 at 0:31 PM, jpc said:

Cool.  Thanks for the fun trip report.  Love that crab carapace.  

Hi! Thanks for checking out the trip. I always enjoy finding the little carapaces. 

Libby

On 12/9/2016 at 9:33 PM, Plantguy said:

Libby, liked the report and especially that sponge!...got alot of them doing borings from around here. Thanks for showing us. Regards, Chris  

Hi Chris, thanks about the report and sponge, its intricate. Have a great day!

Libby