Fossil or just a rock?

Benjaminpb

Hey everyone! Sorry that I just keep posting and posting but I keep finding things in local creeks that I've never seen before. Any idea what this is?

IMG_2509.JPG

If it is from Creataceous sediments it could be a scleractinian coral, similar to the other one you've posted.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, Benjaminpb said:

Thanks guys. I won't post anything else unless it's super cool....or weird.

If You do not know what it is or just want to show it off, We like to see fossils from all over and like to help with id's when We can.

Do not feel that You have bothered Us with Your questions, You have not.

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

I don't think this is coral of any kind...but it's hard to be definite with these images, and it might still be hard to ascertain observing it 'in hand'. 

It's possible this is just some type of banded rock.  We have lots of banded chert in the area, and some of it looks like things it is not as it erodes and weathers.  The 'cortex' (outside layer) of chert can degrade to look very little like we expect chert to appear. Sometimes it can look spongy, chalky, or layered.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with JohnJ, Most (99.9%) likely not a coral. Banded chert was my first guess as well.  But it could be a number of other things including a really crappy Ptychodus tooth or a weird clam mold or who knows what else. If you are in the creeks around Round Rock,TX there should be plenty of actual fossils.  You could take more pictures of it, you could take it to the next meeting of the Paleontological Society of Austin (austinpaleo.org), or you could just hang on to it until you learn more about fossils.

BUT whatever you do, keep picking up and showing us anything you find and are curious about. We love it.

• I found this Informative 2

Thank's for the info everyone!

I'm going to go with banded chert because I'm not lucky enough to find a tooth......(sad face)

I'm sure it will be a moment when you will find something extraordinary. Just keep searching! - Time is on your side, the only parameter... not else. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library