My Pliocene Fossils

podope

Impressive--we have a few Pliestocene deposits here in Central Texas but so far I haven't found anything like this

Very nice.

We have some deposits here (or so I have read) but I'd have no idea where to start.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Very cool stuff! What is the jaw in picture #3?

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

podope, I'm fascinated by the quantity and quality of your finds, but it would be even better if there was some sort of scale in your photos. Thanks for letting us see them.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very nice fossils! Thanks for showing them to us. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Very very cool Podope!!! thankyou for sharing the photos, the fossils are fascinating!

Very nice shrew and bat jaws, and a nice collection of vole jaws and teeth, impressive! As are the partial skull/maxillary fragments.

I have a question, do you collect the majority of these in the feild, or do you collect sediment/matrix samples and break it down/ screen/ search in the lab?

Also, do you have and pictures of the locality where you found these bones?

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Very cool stuff! What is the jaw in picture #3?

It looks like shrew (Sorex sp. or relatives). I think that the right era is Pleistocene rather than Pliocene. It is quite common to find this type of finds around or inside old caverns. It is thought to be the rests of some owl meals (Shrews and Arvicola mice are open-field living mammals; they don`t live in caves). I have a group of them still in matrix, from France.

post-62-1248250077_thumb.jpg

post-62-1248250089_thumb.jpg