Shimmeron

I was on the way to another area when I spotted some odd rock formations in the Pine Canyon area (Tooele Co. Utah). I may go back and dig through the sandy deposits near the rocks, but I didn’t want to waste my time if these are just sandy deposits void of fossils. So I wanted to get some input on them before I go back and dig under the hot August sun. Are these kinds of rocks typically found near fossils? The rock with the shell casing looks to have held a shell, but what if it’s a rock casing that is shaped like a shell?

The 3rd picture is the bottom portion of the shell rock and the 4th picture is the bottom side of the sandy rock w/ calcium cabonate staining. 

Shell rock.jpg

Shell Rock 2.jpg

Shell Rock Pine Canyon.jpg

Sandy Rock.jpg

The white areas look like mineralization of the cracks in the rock, not fossils.

There may be fossils there, but the only way to be sure is to check out the area.

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with ynot

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I did a little digging in the area. I found some fossils, but they were up the road in Flood Canyon. This area has the strangest alien rocks i.e. Bonneville Lake sediment formations of some kind w/ strange fused tufa mounds.