Cambrian Trilobite “Bug” Hunt - Georgia

Nimravis

9 hours ago, Nimravis said:

998419D4-4E1C-4976-B258-7B43BE7457E4.jpeg

going to have a heck of a time at high tea :)

Seriously though, you might know it couldn't be anything simple...even though it is the "pinky".  It looks like nasty business that will haunt him every time it gets cold out.

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

It doesn't involve a bunch of backwoods hillbillies and banjo music does it?

If you hear banjo music, forget the trilobites and start paddling really fast! :hearty-laugh:

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

18 hours ago, Paciphacops said:

How hard would it be to drag a kayak down to the river? Are there any other access points nearby? I have looked online for river info, but I have not found much. My better half would really enjoy the kayaking more than trilobites, even though she does seem to make the better finds. :doh!:

Here is the USGS stream gauge site that is closest to the collecting site.  It's useful to be able to check the water level before driving a long distance.  It's no fun to drive for hours only to be greeted by a river in flood, as can happen after a severe thunderstorm.

The river is quite narrow and shallow at this site, and at many places along the river.  Kayaking isn't an enjoyable experience if you have to get out and walk the boat over shoals every 5 minutes.  Also when the river is high enough for kayaking you'll be standing in the water picking at the bluff.  Better to drive and plan to arrive early so you can park.  Also good hiking boots are recommended to get up and down the slope, and they are not very comfortable in a kayak.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

I’m glad you liked those Pat. Here is an x-ray of my brothers finger. He is seeing the Orthopedic doctor this afternoon, his finger is dislocated and fractured.

Yikes! Now that sure looks painful! Best wishes for his quick healing! :)

I’m glad you liked those Pat. Here is an x-ray of my brothers finger. He is seeing the Orthopedic doctor this afternoon, his finger is dislocated and fractured.

I did that once during a botched landing while skydiving.  I was able to reset it by pulling the finger out until it popped back into the joint.  I did a couple more jumps that day.  However the finger did swell up (and hurt) a lot and it took me over a year before I could touch my little finger to my thumb.

Don

14 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Here is the USGS stream gauge site that is closest to the collecting site.  It's useful to be able to check the water level before driving a long distance.  It's no fun to drive for hours only to be greeted by a river in flood, as can happen after a severe thunderstorm.

Thanks for that info Don, it is a 80 minute drive from my sister.

9 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I was able to reset it by pulling the finger out until it popped back into the joint. 

The place he went to yesterday did not want to do that because of a piece of bone that broke off.

Nice site, spectacular Cambri-Bugs - but a nasty injury! All the best for your brother and his finger!
Franz Bernhard

Hi Ralph beautiful bugs as ever. I like that you can saw them easily too.  I hope your bros finger is now on the mend. Fossil hunting has a danger to it, so we all need to be very careful out there. All the best Bobby 

• New Members
22 hours ago, Walt said:

I was the only boy in the family and it must be nice to have a brother to do things like that with.  

I was the sister who wished she had a brother to do things like this with:) I was the oldest of 3 girls in my family. My dad likes to tell a story how I walked up to a guy with a machete on a beach when I was small because my curiosity to ask what he was finding when he whacked things open on the beach exceeded my fear of a stranger swinging a big blade. I asked if I was a tomboy and my mom said I was more like the girl who would climb a tree in a dress....not unfeminine....just never interested in playing with dolls.

1 minute ago, Mud Girl said:

story how I walked up to a guy with a machete on a beach when I was small

I remember the days when you could walk up to someone with a machete and not wonder if he was hiding a body  :D

• New Members
On 9/18/2018 at 1:39 PM, Nimravis said:

One handy tool to have there is this folding hacksaw,

Ralph, I loved your post....i almost got a clear idea what your trip was like but I'm so new I had to search up mudstone and shale to understand how you collected....a picture tells a 1000 words... I'm starting to see the potential to stumble upon collecting sites almost anywhere. I think I'm gonna buy a folding hacksaw & keep it handy too, not to mention it could serve a double purpose since I always walk alone at night near the woods. When you met me, I was hugging mother earth so I didn't fall. Maybe the fear of falling was more real than just perceived. Your brother's xrays are proof. I'm sorry he got hurt. I can't look at them or my skin crawls imagining the pain. I love your finds. 

• New Members
31 minutes ago, Walt said:

I remember the days when you could walk up to someone with a machete and not wonder if he was hiding a body  :D

No kidding!!! He probably was hiding a body. I don't know if it was a safer time. I think we were just more trusting and people got away with more. Even at the time, I think I made my parents nervous approaching that guy could have been dangerous. I was slower than others to think bad things can happen, I think it's only been a few years since I learned not to trust anyone. lol

Of signicantly less risk, I was also the kid who asked every single 1 of those people with a metal detector and a wire basket what they found in the sand. We went to Florida every year for vacation. A few months ago a random guy asked to search the ground around my house with a metal detector and I found myself thinking I wanted one too. lol. Then I realized the cost of a decent one....

Edited by Mud Girl
the cost

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Depends on who's holding the machete, doesn't it.

Don

@Mud Girl I’m glad you like the post Lisa, it really is a fun place to collect and my folding saw works wonders there. And BTW, you did not look scared up on top of the hill at Braceville.

3 hours ago, Mud Girl said:

I was the sister who wished she had a brother to do things like this with:) I was the oldest of 3 girls in my family. My dad likes to tell a story how I walked up to a guy with a machete on a beach when I was small because my curiosity to ask what he was finding when he whacked things open on the beach exceeded my fear of a stranger swinging a big blade. I asked if I was a tomboy and my mom said I was more like the girl who would climb a tree in a dress....not unfeminine....just never interested in playing with dolls.

I was the same! 

Never wanted to play with dolls. 

But loved to climb trees in a frock. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

31 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I was the same! 

But loved to climb trees in a frock. 

I loved my GI Joes. We did not have trees to climbed in the alley that I hung out in when growing up, so my friends and I would climb on top of garages and jump roof to roof.

Just now, Nimravis said:

I loved my GI Joes. We did not have trees to climbed in the alley that I hung out in when growing up, so my friends and I would climb on top of garages and jump roof to roof.

In England we had Action Man. 

My gran made him a washing line and knitted him Y-fronts and a vest in pale blue and white. 

I couldn't invite my friends round. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

58 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I was the same! 

But loved to climb trees in a frock

The Moroccans have a traditional attire that is, for want of a better word, a dress don't they?  Of course the Fez makes the whole outfit stink of testosterone so no worries getting teased...:)

1 hour ago, Walt said:

The Moroccans have a traditional attire that is, for want of a better word, a dress don't they?  Of course the Fez makes the whole outfit stink of testosterone so no worries getting teased...:)

20180920_014955-1.thumb.jpg.fd695a1f6166c53515a91022da7440ef.jpg

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

If it has a hood, it's a djellaba. 

If it has short arms, it's a gandora.

No hood and long arms, it's a caftan, but there are other regional names. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.