Fake dinosaur eggs

Crazyhen

Impressive, at first glance.
I would want to scrub off the shell surface and study the texture close-up, but chances are there is no texture (which is why it is concealed).

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

No i don't. :P But I'm a skeptic and I think people are paranoid about fakes, especially on this forum. Some might be fake casts or restored, but I agree, it's difficult to tell or judge without any detailed photo from egg-surface and matrix! ...but there are plenty of real fossils like dinosaur eggs in China and trilobites in Morocco. ;) In fact these are so common that you can buy one for less as 100$ in China, only problem is export...

How do you know they are man made? Did you make them? Did you see the process? Do you have any more detailed photos?

• I found this Informative 1

They are all man-made eggs.  The seller told me that all of these eggs are man-made with chemicals, not even those made by sticking broken shells to the matrix.  You are very right that there are quite many dinosaur eggs in China and you could get one (if you know the suppliers) for less than $100 (only those of poor shell coverage of course).  But in view of the money involved and the stricter measures on trade of fossils in China, many people are making fake eggs.  The techniques and skills are highly sophisticated.  I am going to buy a fake big egg "from Henan" to compare with the genuine ones.

• I found this Informative 2

I agree, the legislation and the ban, combined with greed, created a whole new market for fakes. They should ban fake fossil export too. ;)  I believe you can get a nice well preserved real common egg for 100$ (info from a reliable source) or less in China fossil shows, but it's hard to imagine since fakes sell at a higher price online. 

6 hours ago, aeon.rocks said:

I agree, the legislation and the ban, combined with greed, created a whole new market for fakes. They should ban fake fossil export too. ;)  I believe you can get a nice well preserved real common egg for 100$ (info from a reliable source) or less in China fossil shows, but it's hard to imagine since fakes sell at a higher price online. 

I agree that a prohibition legislation can create a falsification industry, moreover the prohibition encourages that there are people willing to pay a large sum, and people willing to sell for a large sum, and illegal trade increases Pretty. Brazil is a great example of this. In Brazil people of great financial power are considered criminals for storing a fossil at home. Fossils can only go to government museums that run out of money and lack of security and structure end up catching fire in a huge fire. Unfortunate. :(

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG