Labeling

Ordovician_Odyssey

trilobite guy...

If you're talking about putting a label directly on the fossil itself...I usually use a Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph pen with permanent ink and write the information directly on the fossil. I use a numbered coding system that includes the location, date and number of the fossil in my written/electronic log. For example...a fossil might be labeled LSS 01-12 which tells me that the specimen was collected at the Lone Star Seagoville gravel pit, was collected in 2001 and is specimen 12 from that year. Of course...all of this information is carefully recorded in both written and electronic form. On rare occasions I'll put a small circle of white enamel paint on the fossil first and then write the label on the white background after it has dried. I only do this if the fossil is so dark in color that I can't see the ink if I write directly on the specimen.

There are those who would shrink from using this technique because it involves the aesthetic appearance of the fossil but my concern is more for archival purposes than it is for making the fossil 'pretty'. I do try to put the label in as inconspicuous a spot as possible.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Trilobite Guy,

There are probably as many different ways to label fossils as there are people collecting fossils. Here is the system I have used for years. Also, I don't label or number the fossil by writing on it as many do, its just that I don't. I never can seem to find the proper pen to write with at the time I need it.

My typical label is as follows;

Common Name ( Clam, Coral, Shark tooth, etc)

Phylum

Class

Order

Family

Genus specie

Geologic age

Geologic horizon or formation

Location (Include as much detail as possible or as is known)

Reference ( Include info on the source of the identification either publication info or name of individual providing ID.)

If an item listed above is unknown for a fossil then I either leave the item blank or enter "unknown". I can always enter it later if it becomes known.

Generally, I write the reference information on the back of a label or on a seperate piece of paper. Sometimes the reference information takes up more room than the ID part of the label especially with microfossils mounted on slides.

I would like to say that all of my fossils are labeled as shown but, unfortunately, they are not. I heave not been as diligent in labeling as I would like and consequently I am having to constantly go back through my collection and add labels. I should have done it right the first time. LOL

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

:) I agree with Fruitbat.I put the field # on the worst side of the fossil, and have all of the extensive info. in written and electronic format.Like it was noted previously, everyone has their method.

With mine the first three numbers denotes the type of animal[426-]would be manatee,the last three denotes what number it was found in[231] means it was the two hundred and thirty first manatee fossil I have found.The idea is to find something that feels right for you. :D

Bear-dog.

i normally don't label nothin', because life is really confusing so why should fossils be different? but when i do, i put the fossil in a ziploc bag, and throw a piece of paper in there with a cryptic scribble on it, like "9-11, lt, ps", which means i found the fossil sometime between 2009-2011 (i can't rule out the future on some of my finds), under the tree on the left, and it's "probably something"...

i might have another marking sometimes, like "pp", which would mean "pennsylvanian through pleistocene", which is when i think the fossil is from, or it could actually also mean i found it while i was going to the bathroom. maybe. would have to look at my footnotes, but they wore off my foot...

I agree with Fruitbat, except that I use a dab of titanium white acrylic paint on every fossil I label. Some folks cover this with a quick dab of vinac or butvar. I don't. My numbering system is a bit different. A number form my collectionmight be JPC-446-13. JPC... that's me. 446 is my 446th fossil locality, and refers directly to my field notes. 13 is the 13th specimen that I have catalogued form that locality. That is also written down in a collection catalog of sorts. It is easy enough to remeber where a fossil comes form, but it is much easier to forget, so the locality becomes part of the fossil number. The Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph pen in size.05 is great. Bit treat it gently; I have seen too many trashed buy rough usage.

An added bonus to labeling like this is that it makes your collection look professional.

Have fun.

Edited by jpc

For what it's worth I also put a catalog number on fossils as well. The technical pens and a white paint patch when needed as well. Very small specimens just get stored with a label as well as larger groups of similar specimens. My numbering system notes the age, state and then a catalog number. Examples: KTX123 or OOH45 = One hundred and twenty third (123) fossil cataloged from the Cretaceous (K) of Texas (TX); 45th from the Ordovician (O) of Ohio (OH). I don't number them until I actually catalog them. That occurs after cleaning, sorting and discarding of the poorer specimens. In the field I just give them the letter code, locality info and date.

I don't have a number on the specimen for locality but I would if I was starting over. Having started all this before owning a computer I still keep paper records in three ring binders (by state). I also have another set of binders for localities.

Now I am cataloging fossils using FileMaker Pro and use Google Earth to note locations. Everything gets printed and put in the binders at some point.

Edited by erose