Shocked Belemnites Ries Crater, Germany

Atomic Rat

I think these are way cool! These belemnites were sliced by the shock wave from the impact of a meteorite striking the earth and the energy of the impact fused the belemnites instantly.

post-4530-078238000 1291562659_thumb.jpg post-4530-061125700 1291562675_thumb.jpg

You have collected some rather eccentric material; I like it a lot :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yup! That's great stuff you've got there. They're well known under collectors here, but they aren't always that easy to obtain or find. Congrats! There aren't many places in the world where such finds can be made.

Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

How unusual, I didn't even realize such a thing exists. I have a few Belemnites I collected on the C&D canal in Delaware but those have such a unique story. Very cool!

I had to look when I saw the topic, too cool. Can you get a larger pic posted or maybe a closer view so we can see some details, please?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

You have collected some rather eccentric material; I like it a lot :wub:

Thank you, I like the weird stuff.

I had to look when I saw the topic, too cool. Can you get a larger pic posted or maybe a closer view so we can see some details, please?

post-4530-009143400 1291592803_thumb.jpg

post-4530-025979800 1291592823_thumb.jpg

post-4530-092280200 1291592847_thumb.jpg

Need more? B)

The kinetic energy of the impact, sliced the belemnites which collapsed back upon themselves and were immediately fused together again. That is some awesome power! That is why they appear to have 'glass' between the slices. They were already fossils when the meteorite hit and the result was fused again.

Never heard of this; it's is one of the neatest, most unexpected thing I've seen in a while!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

They come up for auction on occasion on ebay and the dealer is an excellent person to work with in Germany.

I collect meteorites too. In meteorite jargon the shocked belemnites are referred to as 'impactites.'

Weird stuff indeed... this is an interesting thread... Atomic Rat... super cool collection with an ET component to boot.... glass fusion at the interface ......

Edited by pleecan

I have a piece of K-P boundary material, and a slide of micro-spheres that are Chixalub ejecta (love that crater!), but these belemnites are fascinating on many levels! :wub:

Talk about a reworked deposit!

I've never heard of that but does remind me of Pliocene sand dollars I used to collect in Daly City, California. The formation was said to be the Merced (but which may be a different one) and it runs through the San Andreas Fault Zone. The rock has been stressed to the point that the sand dollars are often cracked and a little distorted.

During the 80's and 90's, you could find some along with some gastropods and the occasional crab claw but the hillside is now covered with houses.

I think these are way cool! These belemnites were sliced by the shock wave from the impact of a meteorite striking the earth and the energy of the impact fused the belemnites instantly.

post-4530-078238000 1291562659_thumb.jpg post-4530-061125700 1291562675_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the closer pics... those are way cool and I'll have to add them to my "List O'Fossils That I Want". :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

They are some very interesting fossils, thanks for sharing and the story behind them. I understand that you also collect coprolite, can you share some of your crappy photo's, bet some interesting stories there.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

They are some very interesting fossils, thanks for sharing and the story behind them. I understand that you also collect coprolite, can you share some of your crappy photo's, bet some interesting stories there.--Tom

I did, they are in my coprolite collection post.

Walt

• 2 weeks later...

Love the Belemnites Atomic Rat I've been collecting and cabbing the meteorites too, still find it hard to absorb the age of them tho. :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

these are beyond cool. but as much as i'd like to collect a couple of them, i'd prefer no more get created in the near future within driving distance of me.

these are beyond cool. but as much as i'd like to collect a couple of them, i'd prefer no more get created in the near future within driving distance of me.

Artificially or naturally?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/