Could This Be A Piece Of Hadrosaur Jaw?

wRick

I've been prospecting for new sites here in NC, when I can find the time. I'm looking for shark teeth but I've found some other bits of critters that I don't know too much about. Here's one of them.

I was sifting gravel that held a sparse mix of Cretaceous (crow and goblin shark teeth) and other material (badly worn and unidentifiable shark teeth) and I was paying more attention than normal to every piece of bone I found, just trying to judge how productive this site might be. I noticed one little chunk of bone with some odd grooves on one side of it. I didn't know what it was, so I stuck it in my pocket to examine further at home.

To me it looks like it may be a small piece of hadrosaur jaw similar to this one found by sharkdentist: http://www.blackriverfossils.org/USA/NorthCarolina/BladenCounty/tabid/53/TripReports/3547/Default.aspx

What do you think?

post-3347-0-50506800-1299558140_thumb.jpg

post-3347-0-64159500-1299558165_thumb.jpg

post-3347-0-24799200-1299558193_thumb.jpg

post-3347-0-47433800-1299558220_thumb.jpg

post-3347-0-47243200-1299558249_thumb.jpg

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine

I know dinosaur stuff pretty well, and here is my prognosis: yup, it could be, but I can't say for sure. Sure looks bony and it has the tooth grooves like a hadr or ceratopsian jaw.

i'd say yes, probably it is! nice find and spot

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Yes: it's almost looks like a piece of jaw that I have (very worn)

Just don't ask what kind of Hadrosaur it came from

Do you know where and what formation it was found in

This information got help narrow down guess work a little more

Thanks everybody!

Yes: it's almost looks like a piece of jaw that I have (very worn)

Just don't ask what kind of Hadrosaur it came from

Do you know where and what formation it was found in

This information got help narrow down guess work a little more

No, I have no idea which formation it came out of, it was found while screening gravel so it was not 'in situ'.

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the party here, but I think I can go so far as the species level.

As far as I know, there's only one hadrosaur in NC that I've seen, Hypsibema crassicauda. Very nice find!

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

Update: turns out there are two other hadros in NC, one an indeterminate hadrosaurid and the other a valid genus, Lophorothon. I'd still be willing to bet a Hypsibema though.

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter