Ammonite Id

Paleo-shark_hunter

I have a small collection of ammonites, and I need to know how to identify them if I ever find more, thanks for your help

Here is the largest in my collection

post-5434-0-58973800-1302364186_thumb.jpg

"Re-living History, one piece at a time..."

When posting in the ID section, it's always best to let us know where abouts your item was found, then take crisp, clear, well lit pictures, with something in them for scale.

If you know the formation they were found it, that is a huge help on pinning down an ID. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

One characteristic used to help ID ammonites is the "suture" lines; the zig-zag pattern left by the chamber septa (which in life separated the current living chamber from the old, outgrown ones). I can just tell that they are visible in your specimen, but the picture is neither bright enough nor sharp enough for diagnostic purposes.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

When posting in the ID section, it's always best to let us know where abouts your item was found, then take crisp, clear, well lit pictures, with something in them for scale.

If you know the formation they were found it, that is a huge help on pinning down an ID. :)

Regards,

Its about an inch long and I found it in the Smoky Mountains National Park

One characteristic used to help ID ammonites is the "suture" lines; the zig-zag pattern left by the chamber septa (which in life separated the current living chamber from the old, outgrown ones). I can just tell that they are visible in your specimen, but the picture is neither bright enough nor sharp enough for diagnostic purposes.

How is this? I'm not exactly sure how to make my pics sharper, but I brightened it up a little, hope this helps :D

post-5434-0-17266400-1302381754_thumb.jpg

The pic is brighter, but sharpness with today's digital cameras is best achieved with bright lighting, so the auto-focus can "lock-on" to the subject. If your camera has a "Macro" mode (usually a tulip icon), use that as well.

A quick check of the geology of Gt. Smoky Mtn. NP mentions some Ordovician (much older than ammonites) sedimentary rocks, but no mention anywhere of the occurrence of ammonites (or rocks of the correct age for them). [This was a quick check, not an exhaustive search]. Figuring out the age of the rock it came from is going to be another key to identifying your specimen.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia page on ammonites: My link

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The pic is brighter, but sharpness with today's digital cameras is best achieved with bright lighting, so the auto-focus can "lock-on" to the subject. If your camera has a "Macro" mode (usually a tulip icon), use that as well.

A quick check of the geology of Gt. Smoky Mtn. NP mentions some Ordovician (much older than ammonites) sedimentary rocks, but no mention anywhere of the occurrence of ammonites (or rocks of the correct age for them). [This was a quick check, not an exhaustive search]. Figuring out the age of the rock it came from is going to be another key to identifying your specimen.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia page on ammonites: My link

How can I tell the age of the rock, but it looks like it might be some Triassic Sandstone, because it has the same reddish-brownish color. Is that found in the Smokies?

Here are som more pictures of the Front:

Hope this helps :)

post-5434-0-86631200-1302387110_thumb.jpg

How can I tell the age of the rock...?

The US Geological Survey has already done the heavy-lifting; you can buy good geologic maps from them. Here's a little "light reading" ( :o ) to whet your appetite: My link

FYI: Unless they have changed the laws in the last couple years, You are aware that it is a violation of federal law to remove ANYTHING from within the national park boundaries. This would include rocks, minerals, artifacts, and plants. Whereas the ammonite in question would be considered a mineral in this case.

- ROD

FYI: Unless they have changed the laws in the last couple years, You are aware that it is a violation of federal law to remove ANYTHING from within the national park boundaries. This would include rocks, minerals, artifacts, and plants. Whereas the ammonite in question would be considered a mineral in this case.

I found it in that general area, not within the park, we were really close to it though. I wouldn't of taken it if I were within the park, thanks for the heads up anyway :)

I found it in that general area, not within the park, we were really close to it though. I wouldn't of taken it if I were within the park, thanks for the heads up anyway :)

Good on ya'!

Could it be a Radstockiceras Ammonite?

I found the rock it was in and dated it back to the Paleozoic period. It was found in the brown color on the far right middle of the TN map on My link

Hope this helps :)

Given to the suture line of the two last pics, your ammonite is a Mesozoic Phylloceratidae, not a Radstockiceras ;)

Edited by Aramon

:blink: woww ! not easy !

may be one Ammonite from Phylloceratidae familly ! look at this direction but have many name !

eric

Edited by eric94

I found out the species, It's called "Phylloceras (Hypophylloceras) tethys" I found a pic of it on this website: My link

It has the same "Flower" patttern running down the sides.

I have some other Ammonites I need help with, one of them was found in the same area. I'll post pictures of them later, thanks everyone!! :D

Well, on my opinion this is not possible to name your specimen otherwise than Phylloceras sp., especially if its origin stage is unknown...

Ph. tethys is a Lower Cretaceous ammonite known in SE France. Is your specimen could be from Lower Cretaceous?

Well, on my opinion this is not possible to name your specimen otherwise than Phylloceras sp., especially if its origin stage is unknown...

Ph. tethys is a Lower Cretaceous ammonite known in SE France. Is your specimen could be from Lower Cretaceous?

Possibly, I'm not 100% sure

Well, without knowing the exact layer it's nigh on impossible to get down to the species. I'd stick with Phylloceras sp. and leave it at that for now, although you've already learned a lot about that genus now haven't you?

Best wishes, Roger

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Well, without knowing the exact layer it's nigh on impossible to get down to the species. I'd stick with Phylloceras sp. and leave it at that for now, although you've already learned a lot about that genus now haven't you?

Best wishes, Roger

Yup, thanks, I'll post some of my other Ammonites later, see if I can get those in as well :)

Hey, this one looks extrememly similar to mine, same flower pattern

My link

This link is for another person on Fossil Forum that has a pic of one

Thanks again :)

I cropped the pics so that you can see the "Flowers" in it

post-5434-0-69876500-1302540293_thumb.jpg post-5434-0-12960500-1302540310_thumb.jpg