Bison Versus Cow Metatarsal Morphology

tracer

ok, so anyway. i've made some comments in the past regarding subtle differences between the post-cranial bones of bison and cows, so i thought i'd show one example of what i'm talking about. i think i have correctly identified the two bones i'm showing here as a left metatarsal from a bison and a right metatarsal from a cow. please do not focus on relative dimensions between the two, since you could find large or small examples of either. just note the differences between the actual morphology.

post-488-0-47442600-1309821715_thumb.jpg

the articulating surfaces on the proximal ends of the metatarsals differ substantially.

post-488-0-93153800-1309821717_thumb.jpg

note the lateral "swellings" on the sides just below the condyles on the bison bone. also note the "flare out" of the groove in the middle of the bone as it goes toward the bottom of the picture.

post-488-0-29154600-1309821721_thumb.jpg

the groove down the middle of the diaphysis looks more pronounced/deeper in the cow bone.

post-488-0-11588700-1309821724_thumb.jpg

caudal view of the distal end of the metatarsals. the differences aren't huge but they're there.

• I found this Informative 1

Good work, Tracer...I learn best from having the details put right in front of me in comparative fashion...now if I could only learn to tell a tapir from a horse from a llama thoracic vert......

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

This is really good stuff! I know what you've put into working these out; thank you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you Tracer,

Now if I find any at the river, I'll have a reference without having to ask (hopefully).

On that note, with your expertise, are there published references you'd recommend to distinguish other bones of the two species, or maybe one that you have written?

Steve

isbn 0-660-13066-1 ordered from publisher if they've still got it.