What Is Fair Price For High-Quality Mammoth Tooth?

LoneRanger

Member "Riverwalker" posted pics of a high-quality mammoth tooth he found. I'm sure he's not planning on selling it, but I have been looking around to purchase a similar quality mammoth tooth. Does anyone know what is a fair price for such a fossil? I'm attaching the photos from Riverwalker to show the quality level I'm referring to.

post-3634-0-18667700-1315833078_thumb.jpg

post-3634-0-76084800-1315833092_thumb.jpg

That is an exceptional tooth with very little wear on the crown and pretty complete roots. I could see it going for as high as $500-$600 online and $750 in a quality fossil shop. Medium size "ok" condition teeth routinely go for about $300

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

For a tooth of that quality, about $10 a lb.

that's pretty much on the low side IMO. I'd say rather 30-40$ per pound for a nice tooth.

And eve more for a "premium" quality tooth with nice chewing surface and root structure.

that's pretty much on the low side IMO. I'd say rather 30-40$ per pound for a nice tooth.

And eve more for a "premium" quality tooth with nice chewing surface and root structure.

For a nice tooth, yes, but for a tooth with a partial root and a worn cap, $30-40 would be far too high.