Urchin Or Jelly Fish?

Tag_It

Ichnofossil (Bottom of an in-filled burrow)?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Conostichus (a fossil with a confusing history) was

formerly thought to be a jellyfish resting trace. It

is now regarded as a burrow infilling or feeding

structure of an unidentified organism.

Excellent post on our forum on this subject My link B)

Barry

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Barry is right. This was initially thought to be a scyphozoa (Jellyfish) and some paleo people will still argue for jellyfish. It was initially identified and described in the literature as Duodecimedusina typica (King, 1953). I'm not positive about that 1953 date. I believe the Treatise of Invertebrate Paleontology for Coelenterata lists the species as Inserta Sedis meaning they are not sure how or where to classify it. Still it is a rare specimen. If you count the lobes on your specimen you will come up with twelve. I have found two, one of which is shown below. Mine was found in the Texas Pennsylvanian near Fife, Texas.

post-8-0-07973200-1316366658_thumb.jpg

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

• New Members

Where and if so do you know the geology? Otherwise very hard to even guess.

The Pennsylvania era, northeast Oklahoma

• New Members

Barry is right. This was initially thought to be a scyphozoa (Jellyfish) and some paleo people will still argue for jellyfish. It was initially identified and described in the literature as Duodecimedusina typica (King, 1953). I'm not positive about that 1953 date. I believe the Treatise of Invertebrate Paleontology for Coelenterata lists the species as Inserta Sedis meaning they are not sure how or where to classify it. Still it is a rare specimen. If you count the lobes on your specimen you will come up with twelve. I have found two, one of which is shown below. Mine was found in the Texas Pennsylvanian near Fife, Texas.

post-8-0-07973200-1316366658_thumb.jpg

JKFoam

Thanks for the info, you just made my buddy jealous as heck being that I found it when we were out looking for crinoids

• New Members

Conostichus (a fossil with a confusing history) was

formerly thought to be a jellyfish resting trace. It

is now regarded as a burrow infilling or feeding

structure of an unidentified organism.

Excellent post on our forum on this subject My link B)

Barry

Thanks for the info Barry, I have a bunch to post as I'm just getting into finding my collection and really haven't had time to get all cleaned and photographed.