"Mammuthus columbi"

Late Pleistocene,North East Texas

Partial tooth slice, river gravel find.

My largest piece to date :)

post-417-0-90442000-1330201594_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-77587700-1330201613_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-28182800-1330201627_thumb.jpg

post-417-0-99083700-1330201641_thumb.jpg

My fossil of the month is Ceratolichas dracon. It's a cephalon of a Lichid trilobite from the Onondaga Limestone, Devonian of New York

WOW!! :drool: :Drool: :drool:

My fossil of the month is Ceratolichas dracon. It's a cephalon of a Lichid trilobite from the Onondaga Limestone, Devonian of New York.

I collected it over 10 years ago and finally finished prepping it this month. The trilobite seen in the photo is whitened so the fine detail can be seen.The image was taken by Tom Whiteley

During the Christmas holidays, I was going through some boxes of Onondaga Limestone looking for specimens of Phacops that I collected. I noticed one of the limestone blocks had a cross section of a spine I thought to be a Kettneraspis, but then I noticed a second spine. It couldn't be a Kettneraspis. So I decided to start prepping it to determine what the trilobite could be. The prepping was difficult because of the micro crystalline quartz in the limestone. This made the matrix very hard to work and would shatter like glass when using a micro scribe. When I finised prepping the trilobite, I was surprised to discovered it has 9 cephalic spines. It's not unusual for lichids to have spines there, but I don't know of any lichid that has this many cephalic spines, except maybe Terataspis.

Wow awesome post Gerry, good to see you on the forum. That had to be a beast to prep! See ya soon at MAPS I assume?

Russ

Wow awesome post Gerry, good to see you on the forum. That had to be a beast to prep! See ya soon at MAPS I assume?

Russ

Me too :) Gonna be selling a few of my crinoids :)

Me too :) Gonna be selling a few of my crinoids :)

Cool, I have seen you down in middle of show not too far from Gerry a few times. MAPS is always a blast!

We will be at motel early (Wed) and have tables in show on weekend (Paleo-pix, and Joes Jems).

Edited by dinoruss

My fossil of the month is Ceratolichas dracon. It's a cephalon of a Lichid trilobite from the Onondaga Limestone, Devonian of New York.

I collected it over 10 years ago and finally finished prepping it this month. The trilobite seen in the photo is whitened so the fine detail can be seen.The image was taken by Tom Whiteley

During the Christmas holidays, I was going through some boxes of Onondaga Limestone looking for specimens of Phacops that I collected. I noticed one of the limestone blocks had a cross section of a spine I thought to be a Kettneraspis, but then I noticed a second spine. It couldn't be a Kettneraspis. So I decided to start prepping it to determine what the trilobite could be. The prepping was difficult because of the micro crystalline quartz in the limestone. This made the matrix very hard to work and would shatter like glass when using a micro scribe. When I finised prepping the trilobite, I was surprised to discovered it has 9 cephalic spines. It's not unusual for lichids to have spines there, but I don't know of any lichid that has this many cephalic spines, except maybe Terataspis.

What beast :o :o :o

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

My entry for FOTM is a little surprise crinoid. I was working on the Scytalocrinus Sp. on the right when I discovered the STAR BURST Agariocrinus americanus to the left of it!!! I was super excited This is only the third star burst crinoid I have found. Hope you guys love it too :)

Date found: June 18, 2011

Date of Completion February 21, 2012

Mississippian Age

Edwardsville Formation

post-1179-0-27761800-1329963421_thumb.jpg

I'm not a big fan of crinoids (but I'm getting there...) :D For some reason this piece is really cool! It makes me wonder what else is in that matrix... Thanks for posting it.

Edited by Govinn

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

Ok this month ill participate.

So here s my week end finding.

I ll try to get a better picture but for now i post this one

Not 100 % sure but

Name : Hecticoceras suevum

Date of find : 25 feb 2012

Geological era : callovian (154-160 MA)

Size 12 mm

Misc : finely pyritized, looks live silver

post-7795-0-14881200-1330289133_thumb.jpg

Edited by elcoincoin

Ok this month ill participate.

So here s my week end finding.

I ll try to get a better picture but for now i post this one

Not 100 % sure but

Name : Hecticoceras suevum

Date of find : 25 feb 2012

Geological era : callovian (154-160 MA)

Size 12 mm

Misc : finely pyritized, looks live silver

NIce looks beautiful!

This is my entry for invertebrate fossil of the month. It is a large example of the rare Cambrian trilobite Hemirhodon amplipyge.

I collected this specimen last June in the Marjum Formation of Southern Utah. Prep was completed last week.

Hemirhodon is one of the largest trilobites found in the Marjum. My specimen measures approximately ten centimeters.

post-1202-0-82159800-1330318014_thumb.jpg

post-1202-0-48702700-1330318047_thumb.jpg

Finder: Fossil Huntress NaturegalTX (I'm submitting on her behalf as she's attending a birth in the family)

Taxon: Paramylodon ground sloth (best opinion of Richard Hulbert of the FLMNH)

Anatomical Position: Right Scapula

Locality: Deep in the Heart of Texas

Prep Completion Date: Feb 26, 2012

What's interesting about this find:

- Not the most common critter in the Texas Pleistocene

-99% complete

-Extremely fragile - some sections less than 1/8" thick; we were lucky this thing was completely encased in sandstone

-Quality of preservation

-First prep demo I gave NaturegalTX...what a starting point!

post-22-0-67475800-1330349501_thumb.jpg

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Another view

post-22-0-98256000-1330349564_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

and another

post-22-0-82170900-1330349643_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

What a great and uncommon find.

Congrats NaturegalTX. you too Dan,

It is preserved wonderfully...

Now off to find the claws...........

As my daughter is currently being induced and I am in ATL awaiting the arrival of my first granddaughter, Dan posted a pic of the best find of my short fossil hunting career. I saw it first but the credit really should go to Dan. He helped get it out of the side of a cliff, prepped the very fragile specimen and gave me much needed instruction with the air scribe, and he contacted one of his friends for confirmation of the identification. The fossil is affectionately known as "Scappy the Scapula!" After looking at all the other posts, I didn't appreciate how stiff this competition is! WOW! Some great finds have been posted this month. Thank you, Dan!!

Edited by NatureGalTx

and a stiff competition it is! she saw it then knee capped me with a geo pick to maintain her advantage...

Grüße,

Any in situ pics y'all ??

I'm sure the adrenalin rush was overwhelming seeing such a large piece in the cliffside.

To climb up and know that you are looking at part of a beast that roamed the pleistocene must be a real rush.

far behind in my prep and reporting, i don't have add'l pix handy...concentrating on my october report at present

Grüße,

Wow, amazing finds this month.

Well I'm going to toss this in there for fun.......

Found 2012 feb 11

Unknown fossil leaf, with unusual 3D preservation

Oligocene, Little buttes volcanic series, of Oregon

post-4158-0-54475100-1330389357_thumb.jpgpost-4158-0-84152500-1330389399_thumb.jpg

Link to hunt trip

Edited by bdevey

Congratulations2 for Brett's scapula and grandson ;)

RCFossil, your trilo is very datailed :)

I am going mad with not going fossil hunting from October (except for some shells I found in Rome during an airport trip)... but April is coming :drool::)

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

nando your FOTM winning candidate is waiting for you in Texas...make that 2...one for Diana too...

Grüße,

Nice find Brett!

And congrats on making Dan believe that it was all his idea to prep the piece!

Congratulations2 for Brett's scapula and grandson ;)

RCFossil, your trilo is very datailed :)

I am going mad with not going fossil hunting from October (except for some shells I found in Rome during an airport trip)... but April is coming :drool::)

Nando... Really looking forward to meeting you and Diana! For whatever reason, it has been somewhat difficult finding couples that want to go fossil hunting... either single dude or single gal... (Gee maybe I should start an online dating site for singles looking to meet other fossil hunters??)

Nice find Brett!

And congrats on making Dan believe that it was all his idea to prep the piece!

Heehee... Thanks Brent... but DO NOT reveal my secrets... (woops...guess I just did! :) ) Heard you took your daughter fossil hunting!! AWESOME!!!