Adhesives And Consolidants In Geological Conservation

Caleb

sweet, this would make a nice pinned thread, as well as one for the various acids... :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

i will also add this great link on Paraloid and all the various "coating" products from Roger/painshill LINK

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Great reference, thanks! It's good to see a nice list of the reversibility and long-term stability of these substances.

Thanks, Caleb for posting. Very helpful reference, but I stumped by the use of the abbreviation "GT" on the chart. Maximum application temperature? temperature it breaks down? Someone please elaborate.

We've been needing this for a long time. I only wonder what category WeldBond would come under - same as "Lepage's cement"?

Thanks, Caleb for posting. Very helpful reference, but I stumped by the use of the abbreviation "GT" on the chart. Maximum application temperature? temperature it breaks down? Someone please elaborate.

It looks like it's the temperature that the epoxy turns from glass like to rubbery. Here's a Wiki link that explains it the transition temperature.

And here's a link to an explanation that is actually in english.

An excerpt:

"The glass transition temperature is a function of chain flexibility. The glass transition occurs when there is enough vibrational (thermal) energy in the system to create sufficient free-volume to permit sequences of 6-10 main-chain carbons to move together as a unit. At this point, the mechanical behavior of the polymer changes from rigid and brittle to tough and leathery --- the behavior we define as “plastic behavior”....

So what does all of this mean? Basically if a polymer’s glass transition temperature is well above (say, 50oC above) ambient room temperature, the material will behave like a brittle glassy polymer --- it’ll be stiff with low impact resistance. Conversely, if the Tg is well below room temperature, the material is what is commonly termed a rubber or elastomer --- soft and easily stretched; and those materials whose Tg is reasonably close to the ambient temperature will exhibit plastic material behavior --- strong and tough with good impact resistance."

• 1 year later...

how would you apply the solvents to a spinosaurus tooth?

I'm CRAZY about amber fossils and just as CRAZY in general.

Use care when dealing with teeth. They may look perfect and very solid ready to plucked out of the ground, only to splinter in a million pieces when touched. I use Starbond glue( Cyanoacrylate) also called called super glue. You can buy from two ounces to gallons. It is excellent glue to use on repairing or to saturate fossils. I recommend Starbond EM-02 super thin. This glue penetrates the tooth very well. Be sure to clean the surface well before applying the glue. The glue dries in seconds. Once dry dig the tooth out, wrap tightly with tinfoil for transport back home. Never try to clean a fossil in the field. Always clean/repair fossils in a controlled environment. Now the prep can begin. The glue can be removed with acetone, so if you got a little dirt on it do not freak out, it is not permanent. Once the tooth is prepped for display just apply a small amount of glue again to the whole tooth. I would wear rubber gloves when dealing with this glue. I have glued my fingers together a few times! A little bit of glue goes a long way, so do not over use it.

• I found this Informative 2

Chelebele

• 9 months later...
  • New Members

Use care when dealing with teeth. They may look perfect and very solid ready to plucked out of the ground, only to splinter in a million pieces when touched. I use Starbond glue( Cyanoacrylate) also called called super glue. You can buy from two ounces to gallons. It is excellent glue to use on repairing or to saturate fossils. I recommend Starbond EM-02 super thin. This glue penetrates the tooth very well. Be sure to clean the surface well before applying the glue. The glue dries in seconds. Once dry dig the tooth out, wrap tightly with tinfoil for transport back home. Never try to clean a fossil in the field. Always clean/repair fossils in a controlled environment. Now the prep can begin. The glue can be removed with acetone, so if you got a little dirt on it do not freak out, it is not permanent. Once the tooth is prepped for display just apply a small amount of glue again to the whole tooth. I would wear rubber gloves when dealing with this glue. I have glued my fingers together a few times! A little bit of glue goes a long way, so do not over use it.

Hi Chele, great info! I have a partially rooted platycarpus tooth; the enamel is chipping away every time I look at it! I want to reglue the pieces back on and somehow saturate to strengthen the rest of the tooth before I finish removing it from the matrix. Would you advise the starbond glue for this, and where can it be purchased? Thanks for helping out a total noob!