Winner Of The February 2012 Invertebrate / Plant Find Of The Month!

JohnJ

post-420-0-26133300-1331088278_thumb.jpg

The Winner of the February 2012 Invertebrate / Plant Find Of The Month is the Ceratolichas dracon Lichid trilobite cephalon from the Devonian Onondaga Limestone of New York, USA! Congratulations to our new member, GerryK, on the recent discovery and meticulous preparation of his decade old find!

Thank you to every else who participated.

:)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Great month with some amazing fossils. Congratulations on the beautiful lichid.

Amazing find, Congratulations ;)

Wonderful the rest participations, as well :rolleyes:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Bravo for this little trilobite. It is so small! And the preparation was have to be easy. The victory is deserved.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I want to thank those who voted for my specimen of Ceratolichas dracon. So many nice fossils were submitted for the month and I want to thank those who entered their specimens. James Hall reconstructed this species with 6 spines on the cephalon. After many years collecting in the Onondaga Limestone, I didn’t believe a Lichid from NY would have so many spines on the head. After prepping this specimen, not only did I realize Hall was correct but there were 3 more spines he didn’t illustrate.

I will be attending MAPS and if anyone else will be there and would like to see the trilobite, stop by my table and I’ll show it to you. Also, I haven’t yet introduced myself to the FF in the Members Introductions section and I should do it now and update My Profile.

Sorry I missed out on this vote, but I was awol. Great fossil, and scary looking to boot!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome to the fossil forum and Gratz to you on the win! Really nice specimen and great prep work! :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Welcome to the Forum and Congrats! Close race :D

The alien head wins it! :)

Context is critical.

Congratulations, its amazing!!!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Congratulations, its amazing!!!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Congratulations! That is one scary looking critter.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Gerry, is there any chance you have photos of this specimen before the prep work was finished? I'm always amazed that such fragile and bizarre appendages can be preserved and I'm curious what something like that looks like when it's still embedded in the matrix.

Gerry, is there any chance you have photos of this specimen before the prep work was finished? I'm always amazed that such fragile and bizarre appendages can be preserved and I'm curious what something like that looks like when it's still embedded in the matrix.

Sorry, there are no photos before I prepped. If I had taken a photo, one would see two chunks of limestone with 2 round black circles that were the cross section of spines. Not a interesting photo.