Gastropods, Bivalves, And Sharks Teeth Of The Upper Cretaceous Holz Shale

Olenellus

Paleo Friends:

Several years ago I obtained permission from the Holz family to search for fossils on their land. This site exposes the Upper Cretacrous Ladd Formation of Orange County in the main outcrop and a Paleocene rim that I took a few samples from (primarily Turritellas). The eccentric residents of Silverado Canyon were curious and, at times, hostile to my presence. One woman destroyed the bridge of dead limbs I had made to cross over the stream, even when I explained that I had permission to be in this desolate place. A sign read “No Trespassing” by the road, and I was forced to present my letter each time the police or pedestrians challenged me as I prospected along Silverado Creek. During the many months I searched for fossils in the Holz Shale, I found ammonites, gastropods, bivalves, and a few sharks teeth. The assemblage below lists both the scientific name and the common name for each genus and species. So far I’ve been unable to identify the small sharks teeth, but I was fortunate in being able to match the other specimens with the scientific and common names on record. I hope that this fossil site is still available for amateur paleontologists and collectors, but Orange County, California, is becoming cluttered with housing tracks and industrial property. Alas, after living in North Texas awhile, I am chagrined to discover the same phenomenon of urban growth.

---- Olenellus

post-1777-0-17878400-1331848529_thumb.jpg

Edited by Olenellus

Olenellus

Ditto... wonderful layout and description of fossils. Glad you persevered against those challenging you :o

Bravo Olenellus :fistbump:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Nice presentation. A little dark on the right but that can be fixed.

I like seeing other people's Cretaceous stuff to compare with my own, We also have a Volutoderma, a Cucullaea and a Pterotrigonea (a bivalve, not an abalone, btw), but your Volutoderma looks like another local snail that I have not been able to identify. Not the same, but reminiscent, Wonder if it's related.

Very nice display, as always. You're fortunate to have been able to collect there. Too bad about the obnoxious people giving you a hard time even when you proved you had permission. At least you weren't chased by a pack of dogs, I've had that pleasure (not at that site, but in California).

On another note, I think some of your Turritella specimens might be Anchura. I'll see if I can find a reference to check on that.

Don

Orange County used to have a number of great places to collect back in the 60's and 70's. One Lake Forest housing area is on top of the only known locality for a rare Miocene shark species (Paraechinorhinus barnesi). Sites in Mission Viejo are parking lots, malls, and houses. The salvage paleo people found a lot of stuff when the toll road was constructed. Leisure World is on top of more Miocene vertebrates. The fairgrounds in Costa Mesa are on top of Late Pleistocene San Pedro Sand (shells and shark teeth).

Paleo Friends:

Alas, after living in North Texas awhile, I am chagrined to discover the same phenomenon of urban growth.

---- Olenellus

Orange County used to have a number of great places to collect back in the 60's and 70's. One Lake Forest housing area is on top of the only known locality for a rare Miocene shark species (Paraechinorhinus barnesi). Sites in Mission Viejo are parking lots, malls, and houses. The salvage paleo people found a lot of stuff when the toll road was constructed. Leisure World is on top of more Miocene vertebrates. The fairgrounds in Costa Mesa are on top of Late Pleistocene San Pedro Sand (shells and shark teeth).

I've been eyeing some of the exposures on that toll road...

I've found some fossils in Yorba Linda, but they seemed much more recent.