Mio-pliocene Fossils Of Northern California

Boesse

Hello all,

I figured I should go ahead and post some photos of parts of my collection. I've amassed a large volume of vertebrate fossils during undergraduate paleontological fieldwork, including sharks, rays, bony fish, birds, fur seals, walruses, porpoises, river dolphins, and large and small baleen whales. Most of this stuff I'll end up publishing at some point, after I get it curated into various museum collections.

Bobby

We'll start with some small stuff - here are some sharks:

post-225-1202111694_thumb.jpg

post-225-1202112128_thumb.jpg

post-225-1202112213_thumb.jpg

post-225-1202112289_thumb.jpg

post-225-1202112311_thumb.jpg

post-225-1202112321_thumb.jpg

post-225-1202112335_thumb.jpg

post-225-1202112398_thumb.jpg

post-225-1202112444_thumb.jpg

post-225-1202112477_thumb.jpg

Hello all,

I figured I should go ahead and post some photos of parts of my collection. I've amassed a large volume of vertebrate fossils during undergraduate paleontological fieldwork, including sharks, rays, bony fish, birds, fur seals, walruses, porpoises, river dolphins, and large and small baleen whales. Most of this stuff I'll end up publishing at some point, after I get it curated into various museum collections.

Bobby

We'll start with some small stuff - here are some sharks:

What is that thing that looks like a fishing hook? It`s quite shiny!

Awesome Teeth Boesse!!

i was also wondering about that hook shaped one, extreamly cool! :lol:

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Really nice teeth you are showing there. I don't know what the hook-shaped

fossil is either, unless it is a fish or shark spine of some type.

Welcome to the forum!

Hey Guys,

The fishook thing is a gill raker of Cetorhinus maximus, or basking shark. Ya, I love that cow shark too - there wasn't much covering it up, either - when I found it the sun was making the tooth glow an orange color.

Speaking of cow sharks, here is a slightly younger pathologic cowshark. Enjoy!

Bobby

post-225-1202149127_thumb.jpg

And now for the centerpiece of the Purisima Fm. shark fossils, and one of only two Carcharocles teeth ever collected from the Purisima. One of the only Carcharocles teeth from northern CA, really, and one of the youngest in the Pacific basin.

This tooth (as broken) has a length of about 5.6"; go ahead and add at least another inch if it had a complete root on it. Beautiful color to it, too - mottled blue, green, grey, and cream.

Bobby

post-225-1202193263_thumb.jpg

Ah lets see... finally some mammals. I still need to get some photos of pinniped and bird material too...

Anyway, the first is a posterior portion of a dentary (lower jaw) of a very small baleen whale, Nannocetus (only about 12-14' total length). Sorry, no scale bar, but the photo is only at about 80% of the actual size - its about a 10" long piece of bone.

Second is a partial lower jaw of an animal called Parapontoporia wilsoni, an extinct lipotid river dolphin. Anson, that cetacean tooth you had - it is probably from something like this. I'll post a picture of a partial skull soon.

Bobby

post-225-1202202083_thumb.jpg

post-225-1202202099_thumb.jpg

VERY nice stuff. That meg is a real heartbreaker, but still, almost as rare as hen's teeth so who really cares.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Here's a collage of some fossils I collected over thanksgiving, all in two days. The big Carcharodon is about 2.6" long or so. Also, the bird bone is a distal tibiotarsus from a small species of a flightless auk called Mancalla.

Bobby

post-225-1202248714_thumb.jpg

...and here is a skull of Parapontoporia wilsoni. This was actually collected by RJB (Ron), but he mailed it to me to prepare and donate - and probably, I will eventually describe it.

This is a partial skull of a river dolphin, minus most of the elongate rostrum (nose), which can be 3-4 times the length of the braincase. This sediment is extremely hard to work with.

Bobby

post-225-1202249287_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's a fairly new find, and something I'm quite freakin proud of: a pair of associated tusks from the Purisima Formation. About 7 million years old.

The straight one is the lower tusk, and the curved one is the upper tusk. These are from an extinct walrus named Dusignathus santacruzensis. The dusignathine walruses (D. santacruzensis, D. seftoni, Gomphotaria pugnax, and Pontolis magnus) are all peculiar walruses that had both upper AND lower tusks.

Enjoy!!

post-225-1206259920_thumb.jpg

Boesse

Are you familiar with what baleen whales were present in Yorktown and Eastover seas in Pliocene VA? I came home with a partial dentary that was 30" and 45 LB and a couple large articulated verts. Just wondering what mysticete whales lived at that time in the middle to larger end of the size spectrum. I know blue whales lived then but have no concept of scale concerning the jaw fragment, etc.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

One tusk is probably rare....Two associated tusks...Amazing.. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome Tusks! Where are they from?

This topic is called Mio-pliocene Fossils of Northern California :P I'll go out on a limb here and saaaay Northern California..? haha

Dan: Volume IV of the lee Creek series just came out (VMNH special publication #12) and there are a couple papers dealing with the Pliocene baleen whales of the atlantic seaboard.

Basically, there is Herpetocetus transatlanticus (a very weird little whale; I'm studying/describing a new skull of Herpetocetus bramblei, an even weirder California species of Herpetocetus), Balaenopterid whales (Balaenoptera aff. acutorostrata and B. borealina), and two balaenid whales: Balaena ricei (described in Smithsonian Con. Paleobiology 93), and Balaenula sp.

If you like, I can identify the dentary (if you have the posterior end with the condyle/coronoid/angular process) for you.

Anson: The tusks are from the Purisima Formation in Santa Cruz County.

Cris: I was pretty shocked at finding two associated tusks myself. I was pretty blown away, in fact. Even weirder: I found these only three feet away from the spot I picked up my megalodon tooth!

Bobby

Boesse

You'll find images of the whale dentary and verts in my recent post entitled "Whale Stuff".

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...post&p=8255

The jaw appears to be a medial section about 30 inches long and 45 LBS or so. There is a quarter lying on the jaw for scale. Since it appears to be a medial section with no ramus intact, I was wondering if it can be identified based on mass. Could this be blue whale?

Same general question for the verts, which have 8 inch diameter centra, plus processes. I have no idea whether the verts have distinguishing features, or whether size has some bearing on ability to ID them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I was way out of my element when collecting this stuff.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 4 weeks later...