Where Do I Go In South Carolina

Oh-Man

Hopefully I've got a biz trip coming up to Charleston - can anyone offer any guidance?

Specifically for sharks teeth?

Thanks!

Oh-man

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Well, the scuba folks certainly clean up there; must be stuff on the beaches.

In 1984, during construction of the airport, they discovered fossils of the largest sea bird ever known; a pseudodontorn with an 18' wingspan.

Keep your eyes open for me, will ya'!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If you are scuba certified there are several charters available to take you diving on the Cooper River. Check online for the various companies. Land (ditch) hunting is available in and around Summerville. It's around 30 minutes from Charleston.

If you are scuba certified there are several charters available to take you diving on the Cooper River. Check online for the various companies. Land (ditch) hunting is available in and around Summerville. It's around 30 minutes from Charleston.

Thanks - I'll be at Moncks Corner which isn't too far from the Charleston Airport.

About 20 years ago I was in Charleston and there was a 12' turtle fossil eroding out of a creek bed, but the University jumped on it pretty quickly.

Anyway, maybe there are some spoil piles around SanteeCooper's property that I can look at.

My mom always picked up teeth at Myrtle Beach. Not sure how far that is or how much of the rest of the coast is good for teeth.

If you want beach fossils, try edisto beach (appx 45 miles south of Charleston). Go to the State Park and walk to the very end (North about 1 mile).The beach used to be great (at least to me), but they did dredge about 2 years ago so you never know.

If you want to go to Summerville, get with someone who knows what to do. I tried once by myself, but didn't know what the heck I was doing and didn't find anything.

Also, read the new member board. One of our new members is south of Myrtle Beach I think and she has been finding some awesome stuff lately including a mammoth tooth.

If you want beach fossils, try edisto beach (appx 45 miles south of Charleston). Go to the State Park and walk to the very end (North about 1 mile).The beach used to be great (at least to me), but they did dredge about 2 years ago so you never know.

If you want to go to Summerville, get with someone who knows what to do. I tried once by myself, but didn't know what the heck I was doing and didn't find anything.

Also, read the new member board. One of our new members is south of Myrtle Beach I think and she has been finding some awesome stuff lately including a mammoth tooth.

Excellent - thanks!

Guest bmorefossil

there are so many places one could go in south carolina, its not like here in maryland where you can go to somewhere along the cliffs, you got land spots, rivers, ect.

Go to a little resturant near the market place called the Blue Oyster I think. Something oyster, best bloody mary you'll ever have.

there are so many places one could go in south carolina, its not like here in maryland where you can go to somewhere along the cliffs, you got land spots, rivers, ect.

I'll be limited to the area around Charleston since my boss is coming in that afternoon...

That's where a little guidance would come in handy.

Me and my kids have been going to summerville Charleston area for a couple months and we just started hitting some of the canals and creeks in and around Moncks Corner Summervile and surrounding areas, There is one cacnal at the intersection of Ladsen and Dorcester roads in Summervile that we usually start at but it is in the tidal zone so the water getss pretty deep there when the tide comes in..But some of the creeks there arent so when the water goes up we go to anther spot.

We found some mammal teeth and bones and quite a few sharks teeth,we found some long bones that are really small from I am thinking a small rodent or lizard..

If ya need any more info just give me a holler and I`ll see what I can find out for ya..

Oh and the Santee cooper lakes I live right near it and I havent found any spoils piles and only know of one area there that has a layer on fossils shells about 3 or so feet thick in the bank but all I ever find there are shells...I have found alot of artifacts tho on the Santtee but maybe 3 pieces of unidentifiable bone fragments..

Hope this helps

Ron

Me and my kids have been going to summerville Charleston area for a couple months and we just started hitting some of the canals and creeks in and around Moncks Corner Summervile and surrounding areas, There is one cacnal at the intersection of Ladsen and Dorcester roads in Summervile that we usually start at but it is in the tidal zone so the water getss pretty deep there when the tide comes in..But some of the creeks there arent so when the water goes up we go to anther spot.

We found some mammal teeth and bones and quite a few sharks teeth,we found some long bones that are really small from I am thinking a small rodent or lizard..

If ya need any more info just give me a holler and I`ll see what I can find out for ya..

Oh and the Santee cooper lakes I live right near it and I havent found any spoils piles and only know of one area there that has a layer on fossils shells about 3 or so feet thick in the bank but all I ever find there are shells...I have found alot of artifacts tho on the Santtee but maybe 3 pieces of unidentifiable bone fragments..

Hope this helps

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the help. I guess the next question is whether or not I need to worry about gators there?

Also, are you surface hunting or straining the sand/mud?

Thanks

Owen

We surface hunted and did some spaghetti straining and found teeth and bones and stuff easy enough, gators wont be a problem at the little canal that runs along old trolley road and I havent seen one at the other creek on drocestor road but I am sure some are there..I only saw a couple snakes last weekend but they musta been some of them polar bear snakes cause my feets was numb and they were in the water like it was nothing,LOL

Probably the first place I would go would be along old trolley road only because the tide doesnt have much affect on the water level there so ou can hunt all day..

Need anymore info gimme a shout and I`lll try and help ya out if I can

Ron

Oh-man,

When are you coming to town? I've got a few screening spots that you would approve of. I live in Summerville, which is only 15 miles from Monck's Corner.

-Rob C.