Carboniferous Flora And A Few Fauna

ebrocklds

http://picasaweb.google.com/ebrocklds/ManningCanyonShale#

this is part of the stuff i collected from this locality near my home. the small fish (on grey rock and the fish looks like a "J" ) is only the secend know specimen of Utahcanthis guntheri. the shrimp represent several undescribed species of which my collection will provide 2-4 holotypes. the "dragonfly" megasecopteran, is also a new species and genus with it possibly being the oldest winged insect found. ( Bruno if you have any knowledge of other mid to early carboniferouse winged insects i would be very interested in seeing the publications) these fossils are preserved in a claystone atrix and have been hematite replaced, hence the red coloration of most of them. this site is now mostly gone as it was a clay pit and they have backfilled it with construction waste. no new material wil ever come from the main site. there are however two smaller less productive sites that i poke around at every once in a while.

Brock

Amazing, and significant! (Why do you have to make it sound so easy?) I am fascinated :)

What is the thinking on the depositional environment? The flora/fauna mix seems more Mazon-like than coal swamp.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

it is not really like the coal swamps. it was probably a low energy stream or seasonal lake. the fine grained sediments are almost entirely clays, this allows for the fine detail preservation of the fossils especially the fauna. the small fish, about 2.5 inches, still has scale details. and the megasecopteran has wing veination. here is a part of the illustration that i am working on for the publication.

Brock

megasecopterawingline.pdf

this is part of the stuff i collected from this locality near my home. the small fish (on grey rock and the fish looks like a "J" ) is only the secend know specimen of Utahcanthis guntheri. the shrimp represent several undescribed species of which my collection will provide 2-4 holotypes. the "dragonfly" megasecopteran, is also a new species and genus with it possibly being the oldest winged insect found. ( Bruno if you have any knowledge of other mid to early carboniferouse winged insects i would be very interested in seeing the publications) these fossils are preserved in a claystone atrix and have been hematite replaced, hence the red coloration of most of them. this site is now mostly gone as it was a clay pit and they have backfilled it with construction waste. no new material wil ever come from the main site. there are however two smaller less productive sites that i poke around at every once in a while.

Brock

Here is Gallotupus a new meganeurid find near LIEVIN france part 1

gallo_1.pdf

gallo2.pdf

gallo3.pdf

gallo4.pdf

gallo5.pdf

Guest Nicholas

Excellent specimens! Like Auspex I found it hard to believe it was coal swamp. To me it seems a lake is more likely than even the river is such small details such as the wing veins are preserved, however that is my opinion.

Thanks for sharing.

...this site is now mostly gone as it was a clay pit and they have backfilled it with construction waste. no new material wil ever come from the main site....Brock

That is heart breaking :(

At least your specimens remain, and are being well curated :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

gallotupus the end .....

Thank you for the paper, Bruno!

it is not really like the coal swamps. it was probably a low energy stream or seasonal lake. the fine grained sediments are almost entirely clays, this allows for the fine detail preservation of the fossils especially the fauna. the small fish, about 2.5 inches, still has scale details. and the megasecopteran has wing veination. here is a part of the illustration that i am working on for the publication.

Brock

I see your pictures ,wowwww the colours ......

It may be a channel or a delta to the open sea, there are lots of wood, stems without leaves, numerous pieces of torn pinnae,pieces of plants removed by the stream or the wind,it is a very exposed aera , the deposit is not quiet , I recognize some typical kinds of coal higher seem to be present from the lower namurien .....and the marine fauna ,brachiopoda affinity, genus orthis productus....

That is heart breaking :(

At least your specimens remain, and are being well curated :)

Auspex

I do not understand the meaning of "curated" I know the meaning of "curate" ,"un curé" "un vicaire" in french, that is slang ....????

Auspex

I do not understand the meaning of "curated" I know the meaning of "curate" ,"un curé" "un vicaire" in french, that is slang ....????

It is the past-tense of the verb "(to) curate": To act as curator of; organize and oversee.

It is the past-tense of the verb "(to) curate": To act as curator of; organize and oversee.

ooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,understand,verstehen,comprendo,compris ...........merci ;)

Excellent specimens! Like Auspex I found it hard to believe it was coal swamp. To me it seems a lake is more likely than even the river is such small details such as the wing veins are preserved, however that is my opinion.

Thanks for sharing.

Say, Nick, any clay pits on your island?

here is another paper on carboniferous insects.

this one was found the same place as mine.

Brock

I look on the web to find this paper in PDF file ,but I don't find ,Can someone give me the link thank you ....

Bruno

TIDWELL, W. D.

1967. Flora of Manning Canyon Shale, Part I: A lowermost Pennsylvanian

flora from the Manning Canyon Shale, Utah, and its stratigraphic

significance. Brigham Young Univ. Geol. Studies, 14: 1-66.

1975. Common fossil plants of western North America. Brigham Young Univ.

Press, Provo, Utah., 197 pp.

TIDWELL, W D., D. A’. MEDLYN, AND A. D. SIMPER

1974. Flora of the Manning Canyon Shale, Part II: Lepidodendrales. Brigham

Young Univ. Geol. Studies, 21(3): 119-146.

WEBSTER, G. D., P. BRENCKLE, M. GORDON, JR., H. R. LANE, R. L. LANGENHEIM,

Brock

Brock

I think I may have collected the spot many, many years ago. I found a spot some where in your area. I remember that it was west of the freeway and not too far from the freeway. I collected quite a bit of plant material. The boxes of stuff I brought home have never been opened since. Now you have given me some incentive to open them up. I never knew anything about the site and had no information. Your information and references should help me out. Too, bad about it being filled in with constuction waste. I thought it was a good site and easy to collect. It would have been great for kids.

crinus

ok so i am trying to scan a couple papers for bruno, what is the easiers way to make a multipage pdf. i have a scanner, photoshop, openoffice, illustrator and a few other programs. any help would be appreciated. also posted in the general section to get more people to answer.

Brock

ok Bruno and everyone else. here is the third in the set of publications. i am not sure why i started with number 3 i just did. anyways here it is.

Brock

I guess you can add "mastry of ocr" to your resume.

I'll be following the countdown (assuming #2 is next; we'll have to wait & see) :)

nope i am working on number one. it is the biggest. then number two. and then if i get the courage i will do a book for you all.

Brock

nope i am working on number one. it is the biggest. then number two. and then if i get the courage i will do a book for you all.

Brock

Hi Brock

Happy new year to you and your family

Thank you for sharing with us these publications,this paper a the sphenophytes is very interesting, I look forward to the paper on lepidophytes

Here is a plate on that I've earned sphenopappy new year

i have noticed that there have been a few spelling errors in the pdfs that i hav eposted. just to inform you.

brock