Any Ideal?

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

I found this today. I have seen it a couple of times over the years, but always passed it up ... thinking it was a group of bivalves. Today however, found 5 of these in an area about the size of one square foot.

They were sitting on a ledge of calcarenite that is inter tongued with a deeper water shale and limestone. The calcarenites were very shallow water/ beach deposits.

If you look at the outcrop photo, you can see a clayey layer that was probably a storm deposit. They were found on the ledge at the contact of the flood stuff.

They are from the Millersburg mb, Lexington lm. Late Middle Ordovician.

Outcrop

millersburglm.jpg

dorsal

DSCN0446.jpg

ventral

DSCN0448.jpg

x10 (as you can see, there is really no structure)

DSCN0457.jpg

x20

DSCN0459.jpg

I'm certainly no expert, so this is really just a random guess from me... but it looks like a plant seed of some sort.

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

It is from the Ord, so it is not plant material.

Hmmm. No structure suggests a trace fossil. How about an infilled burrow or nest chamber, excavated by a storm and cast upon the beach? I see some globular forms -- are those egg impressions?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Umm, Harry raises some interesting points to consider. When I first looked at it I thought maybe a Scyphozoa such as a jellyfish or sea anemone (Brooksella came to mind), but then I thought it had a mineral character to it. Could it be a goethite pseudomorph after pyrite or marcasite that had weathered badly. Scyphozoa fossils are really rare because of the unusual circumstance required for preservation

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Guest solius symbiosus

I don't think it is a pseudomorph. There is some pyrite in in the matrix of the surrounding rocks, but it is sparse, and the grains are small(<1mm). The only eggs I can think of would be some kind of Ostracoderm, but they have never been found around here.

The globules are composed of silt sized grains in a clay matrix. If it is a trace fossil, the critter had a sophisticated systematic method if it was feeding.

When I first saw this years ago, I thought it was a colony of bivalves with the original material dissolved away, leaving an internal mold. Whatever it is, It is rare to this area. This is just the 2nd or 3rd time I have seen this in 25 years, and the first time in multiples.

• 1 year later...
Guest solius symbiosus

I thought that I would bump this since we have so many new members, and I still haven't IDed the thing. It has been suggested that they are mamaleons from a stromatoporoid... but I don't think so. It has also been suggested that they are "algal balls".

Grinding a thin section will probably give a definitive answer, but I kind of hate to cut the thing. Any ideals???

Solius Symbiosus.... Ive no idea what they are, but keep posting the geology lessons and photos of the strata's you come accross.......Thanks....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Interesting fossil, Solius, Maybe some sort of coral or bryzoan? The Ventral side looks like a coral that started on a muddy surface like some Favosites that I've collected. Have you shown it to any "experts" beyond us?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Interesting fossil, Solius, Maybe some sort of coral or bryzoan? The Ventral side looks like a coral that started on a muddy surface like some Favosites that I've collected. Have you shown it to any "experts" beyond us?

I am leaning towards Shamalama's bryozoan idea but first could I get a side view?

When I get home I'll look up somthing that may look similar and found in Upper Ordovician shale.

Solius, Get your hands on a copy of this:

OSGOOD, R. J., JR. 1970. Trace fossils of the Cincinnati Area. In Palaeontographica Americana, 6, Paleontological Research Institution, Ithaca, NY.

I bought one about ten years ago from PRI. They certainly may have more.

Guest solius symbiosus

It is not bryozoan or coral,There is no structure. Yes, I have shown it to a few people, but their areas of expertise is specific. I think that Harry and erose has hit on something.

Erose, is there something specific in the journal that is similar? And, if so, could you enlighten, please?

• 2 months later...

It is not bryozoan or coral,There is no structure. Yes, I have shown it to a few people, but their areas of expertise is specific. I think that Harry and erose has hit on something.

Erose, is there something specific in the journal that is similar? And, if so, could you enlighten, please?

Interesting find,maybe are algae balls,not sure,or some type of preservation of jellyfish or sea anemone.

Congrats!

->>>>> :)<

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

I hope this is a valid contribution- When I saw this fossil of yours I immediately thought of a worm feeding trace known as paleodictyon. A relevent publication may be "Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology - Part W - Trace Fossils (1975)" Do a search for Paleodictyon on google books and you should be able to get a preview of the relevant pages within that book. Alternatively, here are some other links.

Paleodictyon Wiki

Google Image Search

If not paleodictyon, perhaps it is some other related trace fossil. Whatever it is, I think it is fascinating.

Also, hello to the forum, this is my first post!