Another Crinoid Garden

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

I thought that I would go and check out the outcrop where Mike pulled the Gravicalymene today, and find an outcrop I remember from years ago.

The outcrop from years ago turned out to be a unit that is sparcely fossiliferous, I guess that is why I never went back, but here is a pic of the unit that shows some nice cross bedding indicating a near shore environment.

Lexington Lm.

Tanglewood Mb

Middle Ordovician.

post-179-1215809739_thumb.jpg

While trying to find this outcrop, I happened upon a small outcrop of the Devils Hollow Mb. of the Lexington Lm. I decided to have a peek, not expecting anything, and as soon as I walked up, the first rock that I saw had 3 crinoids. I couldn't believe it.

Within a meter of that rock, I found 5 more in about an hours time. I have tentatively IDed these as Iocrinus.

post-179-1215810030_thumb.jpg

A pic of the outcrop

post-179-1215810087_thumb.jpg

I'll load some pics of some of the individual calyx after I scrub them with a little soap and water.

GOOD GRIEF MAN! How do you do it? Congratulations (again)!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

To answer your question, just dumb luck I suppose.

Here are a few of them. I'm thinking I have 2 different genera, but all of these are Iocrinus ... I think.

All scales are approximate

post-179-1215813731_thumb.jpg

other side

post-179-1215813745_thumb.jpg

It appears there are 3 on this one; two nearly on top each other, and the other off the side.

post-179-1215813850_thumb.jpg

There might be a disarticulated calyx below the one seen.

post-179-1215813926_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, it turns out these are a large grouping of worm tubes

post-179-1215814130_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil

i dont know how you can spot this stuff!!! i have it easy here where the teeth stand out, that is some tough stuff to spot, great job

Guest solius symbiosus

^It is pure luck. I usually find one, or two, crinoids a year(except one time back in the 80s when I found an Ectenocrinus garden), This year, so far, I have found close to 40.

Guest solius symbiosus

On one of the pieces, I found some nicely preserved cyclostomate bryzoans encrusting a couple of brachiopods.

post-179-1215825057_thumb.jpg

post-179-1215825091_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

The weather is supposed to be cooler this week, so I'm planning on going back to the outcrop one day this week and spending a few hours at the site.

Here is one after prepping for about an hour with a pin vise.

post-179-1216059200_thumb.jpg

see the original post for scale

EDIT: as evident by the pinnules on these arms, there are at least two genera

post-179-1216060508_thumb.jpg

Not bad at all Solius!! seems like a little prep has really brought them out! keep those photos coming!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Guest solius symbiosus

I just returned from the outcrop. I found 5 more Iocrinus today. I'll post some pics later.

As I was leaving, I got to meet Mike D's dad ... A real nice fellow. I showed him the bed where the crinoids are found, and what areas I haven't picked over, so maybe, he might have something for Mike tonight. :)

I also found some nice Cornulites encrusted brachiopods(Dinorthis?).

I just returned from the outcrop. I found 5 more Iocrinus today. I'll post some pics later.

As I was leaving, I got to meet Mike D's dad ... A real nice fellow. I showed him the bed where the crinoids are found, and what areas I haven't picked over, so maybe, he might have something for Mike tonight. :)

I also found some nice Cornulites encrusted brachiopods(Dinorthis?).

Yeah, my Mom emailed and said you guys met. I sent him down there since it is only about a mile from his house and he would like to find something like that. I jokingly told him he might run into you. I didn't think it would actually happen! Don't know yet if he was successful or not.

Guest solius symbiosus

He said he only had about an hour to hunt, but if he spends some time at the outcrop, I'm sure he will find some. I found 5 today in about 2 hours.

He said he found some fragments in a big rock (too big) and some small brachiopods, but didn't find the target. He said it finally got too hot. Did not come home with anything this time.

Guest solius symbiosus

I'll be going back Thursday morning. If he can drop by, he'll find something ... I guarantee.

Please excuse my stupidity, but what is a "pin vise"

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Like an Xacto knife, but instead of a blade it holds a hardened "pin". Think "manual airscribe".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
The weather is supposed to be cooler this week, so I'm planning on going back to the outcrop one day this week and spending a few hours at the site.

Here is one after prepping for about an hour with a pin vise.

post-179-1216059200_thumb.jpg

see the original post for scale

EDIT: as evident by the pinnules on these arms, there are at least two genera

post-179-1216060508_thumb.jpg

nice job man!!!!

I'll be going back Thursday morning. If he can drop by, he'll find something ... I guarantee.

I'll tell him. Thanks.

Guest solius symbiosus

A couple of the five I found the other day. I've removed about 75% of the overburden.

The base of this one is broke off at the infrabasals.

post-179-1216340645_thumb.jpg

The calyx on this one has disarticulated, but most of the plates are there(though hard to see in the photo).

post-179-1216340728_thumb.jpg

Nice. I'm going to have to get back there before they're all gone. :D Too bad my Dad didn't make it out there today.

Guest solius symbiosus

I didn't make either. I'm going to shoot for in the morning. It is too hot to spend any time in the afternoon.