And Now It's Time For "what Is It?"

Phoenixflood

Over the years I've found something that I don't know what they are. I'm sure there are plenty more, I just don't know where :D Thanks for the help in advance!

This one looks like the combination between a mako and a tiger!

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

Some type of mammal tooth, perhaps bison?

DSC00977.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

No Clue???

DSC00981.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

Not a croc tooth

DSC00988.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

The first tooth is a giant thresher. Depending on where you look, it is either called Trigonotodus grandis or Alopias grandis. It comes in 3 forms: the one you have which is most common, a serrated version which is rarer, and a cusped version, the rarest of the 3. That being said, all 3 types are uncommon finds. Where did you find yours?

post-77-1219916314_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Over the years I've found something that I don't know what they are. I'm sure there are plenty more, I just don't know where :D Thanks for the help in advance!

second pic looks like horse molar; third one, looks like deer frontal teeth, last pic is to blurry to make any ID.

"No Clue" is a fish tooth, something like a wrass or drumfish.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The first tooth is a giant thresher. Depending on where you look, it is either called Trigonotodus grandis or Alopias grandis. It comes in 3 forms: the one you have which is most common, a serrated version which is rarer, and a cusped version, the rarest of the 3. That being said, all 3 types are uncommon finds. Where did you find yours?

I think I found it a long, long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) oh wait, that's another forum :D I found it a long time ago, I think at Indian field creek. It's a place that's close to Yorktown in VA. I didn't find much there.

"No Clue" is a fish tooth, something like a wrass or drumfish.

Do drumfish have teeth like that? I thought they had mouth plates with teeth that look like kernels of corn set into the jaw.

Do drumfish have teeth like that? I thought they had mouth plates with teeth that look like kernels of corn set into the jaw.

Drum pharyngeal teeth (modern):

[Photograph by Jay Nicholson]

post-423-1219975126_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Interesting!

I have some more things that I've found when I was looking through my collection that I'm not sure what they are. Any clues?

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

There is no way that the last thing is not man-made. Not that I know what it is :rolleyes:

(Maybe a catalytic converter core fragment?)

The lighter colored tooth looks to be a lower anterior Isurus retroflexus, not a common tooth by any means. The dark one with the cusps could be a bit more challenging. It could be a lateral from a goblin shark or a sand tiger. Do you know an age or at least where it was found?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

The lighter colored tooth looks to be a lower anterior Isurus retroflexus, not a common tooth by any means. The dark one with the cusps could be a bit more challenging. It could be a lateral from a goblin shark or a sand tiger. Do you know an age or at least where it was found?

This was either a Green Mill run NC find, or a Purse State park MD find. I should be better at documenting :(

I also have this one, I'm guesing it's retroflexus as well, but it's a lot larger. It has some major feeding damage though.

DSC01022.jpg

DSC01023.jpg

There is no way that the last thing is not man-made. Not that I know what it is :rolleyes:

(Maybe a catalytic converter core fragment?)

I'd know what it is either and I don't know if it's man-made. It's a very puzzling!

The one with the chipped tip seems to be a lower Isurus hastalis. The enamel on the labial side of the retroflexus tooth comes about half way up the root and forms a ridge. This does not happen with the much more common hastalis.

This one looks like the combination between a mako and a tiger!

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

Some type of mammal tooth, perhaps bison?

DSC00977.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

No Clue???

DSC00981.jpg

DSC00982.jpg

Not a croc tooth

DSC00988.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

The first tooth is a Thresher Alopias supercilicsus

Size range ½”-2”

Frequency Rare

The second is looks like a three toed horse Neohipparion eurystyle

The third one looks like a drum tooth with a root and also just like a stingray tooth.

Fourth tooth looks like Thunnus sp. (Tuna) or a porpoise tooth with root off.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

The teeth of Alopias superciliosus max out at about 3/4 inches in length and, while uncommon, are not all that rare. The larger version, while similar looking, is Alopias/Trigonotodus grandis and is considerably rarer

Could not find a way to get the attached image to quote so you will have to scroll up to see the picture. I'm no fish expert but this appears more like a Tautoga Sp. a type of wrasse

Check out some miocene drumfish plates here Pogonias Sp.

http://www.phatfossils.com/species.php?spe...=Pogonias%20Sp..

Check out a piece of a miocene Tautoga plate here

http://www.phatfossils.com/species.php?species=Tautoga%20Sp..

Check out a complete miocene tautoga plate here

http://elasmo.com/leecreek/lc_fish/lc_fishSpp.html

if for some reason this link keeps refreshing it points to the teleosts page under lee creek and you have to scroll down a little

Can't see the original picture posted by Phoenixflood so i can't help out with id'ing the stuff he posted

Of the mammal teeth...I'd say that the molar is a Bison upper. As to THIS one:

DSC00982.jpg

Where on EARTH did you find THAT???

It looks for all the world like a missing Oligocene rhinoceros incisor from one of my best lower jaw pieces...even down to the break point! During a move from California back to Texas the two incisors were broken off the front of the jaw and I could only find one of them. That looks EXACTLY like the missing tooth!! How BIZARRE!!!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Of the mammal teeth...I'd say that the molar is a Bison upper. As to THIS one:

DSC00982.jpg

Where on EARTH did you find THAT???

It looks for all the world like a missing Oligocene rhinoceros incisor from one of my best lower jaw pieces...even down to the break point! During a move from California back to Texas the two incisors were broken off the front of the jaw and I could only find one of them. That looks EXACTLY like the missing tooth!! How BIZARRE!!!

-Joe

I got in in a big lot off of Ebay a couple of years ago. I'm not sure what they all are. I don't even remember where they came from, maybe the badlands?; I just remember it was a lot of material and a low price. I didn't even post everything. mainly cause it's pretty beat up.

DSC01036.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

So you think it's a rhino tooth?! I've always wanted rhino material. That is so, as you said, bizarre it looks like the tooth that broke off. If it completes your jaw, I don't mind a fair trade. I don't know how valuable Oligocene rhino material is worth. But will give you a good deal :D I'd most likely want some type of rhino material since I wouldn't have any more of it :(

• 1 month later...
I got in in a big lot off of Ebay a couple of years ago. I'm not sure what they all are. I don't even remember where they came from, maybe the badlands?; I just remember it was a lot of material and a low price. I didn't even post everything. mainly cause it's pretty beat up.

DSC01036.jpg

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

So you think it's a rhino tooth?! I've always wanted rhino material. That is so, as you said, bizarre it looks like the tooth that broke off. If it completes your jaw, I don't mind a fair trade. I don't know how valuable Oligocene rhino material is worth. But will give you a good deal :D I'd most likely want some type of rhino material since I wouldn't have any more of it :(

not interested I guess, that's okay.

DSC01014.jpg

Is there a giant thresher in here??? Fourth row from the top, red circle on right. I'm making a trade and want to make sure I'm telling him the right thing.

You'll be able to see it better in the thread "some of my fossils" I just pulled it from a pm so it's a bit small.