Into The Alabama Cretaceous

Hawkeye

First I want to thank NALhunter for for giving me the info about this hunting site on my way down to Point-A Dam. My two boys and I left Atlanta early on Friday morning and arrived on the site, after a half hour detour on some roads not found on my Google map, by lunch time. This is a Cretaceous site that is known for it's echinoids. We found plenty of echinoids but I have to clean them up a bit before I post them. What we did find was a few Cretaceous shart teeth in matrx mixed in with oyster shells up on the bank. We never got very far down the creek so this is a site I'd love to explore some more when I have a little more time, and some hunting partners over the age of 14. My kids were raised in Iowa where 50 degrees is shorts weather so this 90+ degree stuff with 60% humidity is new to them. They didn't do much fossil hunting but it was good to have them along. After about an hour in the creek they were ready to head to Andalusia and the pool.

This is a picture of the site. The echinoids were in matrix in the limestone on the banks. Of course, I forget to get pictures of them in situ. snarge!

post-757-1246313798_thumb.jpg

These are the boys acting like, well, boys...

post-757-1246313863_thumb.jpg

This tooth is about 1 inch long

post-757-1246313976_thumb.jpg

The next two are about 1/2 inch each

post-757-1246314028_thumb.jpg

post-757-1246314115_thumb.jpg

My best find of the day. I'm going to leave it exactly like it is. I think it mush be a goblin shark?

post-757-1246313940_thumb.jpg

Thanks again Del!!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

cool site, cool finds, cool kids.

now if you'd just have cool weather, it'd be perfect, huh?

Guest N.AL.hunter

I love the teeth in the matrix. I am glad you are going to leave them that way. Glad you had a good time.

Shawn, Wow dig and cool off all at the same time and the water looks clean. Simon looks like he is haveing a great time too. I know Simon but not your other son. Hey did Simon get my e mail about framing the pic he sent me?

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Guest jeepbrew

Nice finds! You don't happen to want to share details of the location do you?? I realize this is in Montgomery, but I would love details on how to locate this spot. I live in AL and mostly fossil hunt in FL or SC (under water), but I am looking for something to do locally when I can't get away for several days at a time.

Thanks!

I will not share a site publicly that was shared with me privately, but perhaps the person who told me about it will see this. I know other people have hunted this site as well and may be willing to share directions privately with you. If it were my site I'd be glad to share, but it's not. Sorry.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Guest jeepbrew
JeepBrew,

What part of Alabama do you live in?

I live in Pell City. The only reason I knew the Catoma was in Montgomery is b/c I used to live there. I still have family in the Gump and I visit them every now and then. Figured if I could find some fossils on the same trip that it would be a plus. Believe it or not, I have actually pulled a few Megs out of the Alabama river in Selma. I may just do some hunting in the river in Montgomery next time I go down.

I assume you are in North AL b/c of your name... what part? Any good places to fossil hunt up there? I have actually never been fossil hunting on land. I am an avid diver and have hunted the Cooper River (SC), St Marys (GA), and many places in FL - Wakkula, Peace, and Venice Beach to name a few. I figure I should start looking above the surface of the water in my free time.

Hawkeye - No worries. If you change your mind, shoot me an email at brandonbrewis@hotmail.com Also, I see you are from ATL. If you know of any places around there and want to fossil hunt together, give me a shout. I work for Southern Company at the GA Power building downtown. I am in ATL 3-4 days a week and in Pell City, AL the rest of the time. I am always up for finding a piece of history to learn more about it. Take care!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Megs in Alabama? I have never read or heard of anyone finding Megs in Bama.

I live in the Huntsville area. Up here we have older marine stuff like blastoids and brachiopods.

I'll send you the directions to the creek later. Have to close work now. See ya, Del

Guest jeepbrew
Megs in Alabama? I have never read or heard of anyone finding Megs in Bama.

I live in the Huntsville area. Up here we have older marine stuff like blastoids and brachiopods.

I'll send you the directions to the creek later. Have to close work now. See ya, Del

A few others have found some Megs in 'Bama as well. Some divers from Fun Divers in Center Point pointed me in the right direction. I will post some pics when I get back to my house in PC (I am in ATL right now).

Do you Scuba Dive by any chance? And thanks in advance for the directions to the creek...

• 4 weeks later...

I live just outside of Montgomery and have a friend with land on Catoma creek ,but I can not find the formations and little waterfall from all of the fossil trip pics online. Anyone care to share directions for a local hunter?

JP

I understand your hesitation in sharing this site, as it appears it is excellent! Nice finds, I can see why you would be proud of them. Good hunting, Carl

Thank you for sharing! B) Great photos!

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Guest N.AL.hunter
I live just outside of Montgomery and have a friend with land on Catoma creek ,but I can not find the formations and little waterfall from all of the fossil trip pics online. Anyone care to share directions for a local hunter?

JP

Clues: Power lines, dead end, haynesville

Clues: Power lines, dead end, haynesville

Found it . An extremly fun site . I must say this is the first site I have had the chance to get to since it is close to home . I was able to find several shark teeth , 2 vertebra , a small ammonite , and large ammonite that I was able to recover . I will be back and travel further up , and down stream . If anyone wants to partner up and go sometime let me know .

JP

• 10 years later...
On 8/10/2009 at 10:10 PM, woodardcoin said:

Found it . An extremly fun site . I must say this is the first site I have had the chance to get to since it is close to home . I was able to find several shark teeth , 2 vertebra , a small ammonite , and large ammonite that I was able to recover . I will be back and travel further up , and down stream . If anyone wants to partner up and go sometime let me know .

JP

I am down to go! I’m headed there now to try to “find” the site because Point A Dam was a total “wash” (dam was open).

3 hours ago, Hayley said:

I am down to go! I’m headed there now to try to “find” the site because Point A Dam was a total “wash” (dam was open).

this post is a decade old:unsure:

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

Indeed! I would recommend you definately do some up to date research before hunting anywhere. In 10 years a site could be hunted dry, become unsafe, or boundary lines and/or local and even state laws could change making it illegal to hunt a particular site. 

As pointed out, this topic is over 10 years old.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The site is still there.  However there has been a lot of rain recently and the outcrop is likely under water at the moment.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

23 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

The site is still there.  However there has been a lot of rain recently and the outcrop is likely under water at the moment.

Don

Yep this is the kind of thing I'm talking about, thanks for taking the time to check Don