Another Devonian Mystery

west99

The mystery in question is the one that is slightly oblong/oval, with definitive lines crossing it.I could have put it up to being just some weird mud formation on the fossil, but there are 2 of them, almost exactly the same. post-2323-12577947519248_thumb.jpg

That's a nice hash plate I see a lot of different species, as for the one oblong/oval item... I'm not sure but it appears to have calcite crystals within it... perhaps a internal mold of some sort?

Looking at the margin, it looks like it might be an internal mold of...something. The "segments" are rather irregular, which makes me think they may be cracks in the in-fill material. What is the size?

Neat "hash" plate, BTW.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looking at the margin, it looks like it might be an internal mold of...something. The "segments" are rather irregular, which makes me think they may be cracks in the in-fill material. What is the size?

Neat "hash" plate, BTW.

There are actually two of the oblong fossils in the "Hash" (I'm new, getting used to the terminology), roughly 1.5 cm to 2 cm.

I vote for crinoid stem. If you look very closely at the junction of 2 segments, you see the zig-zag join which occurs as the radial grooves on the faces of individual columnals meet.