Strange Thing?

Nick Yiu

:rolleyes: I found this specimen at the same spot where all the others are. It's not something appaling or something easy to guess by its' outward appearance. But I took it home out of curiousity, anyway I had other use for this. I was planning to cut it to try my hand on softer rock before going through Meteorite specimen, and also to satisfy the urge on seeing the Inside of this hard to describe specimen.

But before the rash, I would like to consult highly knowledgeable members of the Forum If they knew something that could spare the material from the blade..., Anyway, there's a lot of replacement stone to try my hand with...,

post-2295-12578269739351_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12578269916505_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12578270260144_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12578270475662_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how to better describe the object, but it's dense, hard and heavy. There's a cratter like-borrow on both sides consistence to its' shape, and filled with tiny pores(in dark shade) in the middle. And it's flat with rounded sides. Although, surface are filled with tiny cratters and pores, but it's smooth.

Can somebody help ID this material?

Thanks for the time and effort.

I think you need a better camera.:(

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Looks like one, but I'm not sure if it's Coral, maybe it's another class because the open sides and its surface doesn't feels like Coral.

I had elimated the flash and arrived at this result, as the whiteness of the specimen bounced the flash and produced an undesireable whiteness.

Looks like one, but I'm not sure if it's Coral, maybe it's another class because the open sides and its surface doesn't feels like Coral.

I had elimated the flash and arrived at this result, as the whiteness of the specimen bounced the flash and produced an undesireable whiteness.

I have the same problem with my camera and I use a piece of plastic off a milk jug, I cut a piece big enough to cover the flash. The opaque white of the milk jug is just enough to filter the flash enough so it doesn't wash out what your taking a pict of. Its works for me and its cheap. Good luck with your picts in the future.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I have the same problem with my camera and I use a piece of plastic off a milk jug, I cut a piece big enough to cover the flash. The opaque white of the milk jug is just enough to filter the flash enough so it doesn't wash out what your taking a pict of. Its works for me and its cheap. Good luck with your picts in the future.

Thanks for the suggestion.., This might also help. On my part, I used my left pointing finger to partially cover the flash, while readying the shutter with my right. If I don't get the desired result, I covered the flash further.

It's weathered coral--I'm sure the outside is probably pretty smooth by now and the inside is filled in with minerals/sediments.

It's weathered coral--I'm sure the outside is probably pretty smooth by now and the inside is filled in with minerals/sediments.

Thanks Silverphonex, It's pretty large and so smooth for a Coral. Is It a Fossil Coral? I think I'm begining to appreciate this stone for what it is worth.

Can you please also tell me how old it is? And Is it rare?

Thanks for the time. Best wishes

Nick, it's always good to let people know geologically where you found these objects. Not everyone has been following your other threads.

As to the dark photos, you could use the photo software on your computer to adjust the brightness, if you cannot get the flash to "cooperate".

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nick, it's always good to let people know geologically where you found these objects. Not everyone has been following your other threads.

As to the dark photos, you could use the photo software on your computer to adjust the brightness, if you cannot get the flash to "cooperate".

Dear John, Thanks for all your suggestions, if that'll help; I don't had geological knowledge of this place, But there's such discovery of Adakite slab posted on the web with treasures of geological information, and this very place was also mentioned in that book. Sorry though, I didn't follow much because it's in book lenght manuscript. Information from that discovery might lead us closer to geological time of places now submerged thousands of feet underwater., Coupled with my discovery of Armored mud balls at the same shore, I learn through NC museum that these mud balls comes from Triassic age..., I hope this is it. It's just unfortunate that we can't see the scenery thousands of feet below the surface...,

Attaching; Fragments from three different sedementary materials found at the same spot;

post-2295-12579214759301_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12579215746828_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12579216323924_thumb.jpgpost-2295-1257921812424_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12579218392161_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the time and consideration.

Nick, I suppose I meant geographically. When asking for an ID, it is important to relate some "contextual details" about the find. If you are not sure of the geology, then was it found near mining operations, a beach, a mountain, etc. I suppose that you found this in the Philippines (general location is important)...others may not be aware of this.

Regarding your photos, most of them are good sharp images. However, when they are "too dark" and "too small" to see details, then it is easy to lose interest in "what" it is. Your first images would be easier to discuss if they were similar to this...

post-420-12579615559585_thumb.jpg post-420-12579615746875_thumb.jpg

;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ