Easy To Prep Fossils, Your Recommendations Please?

Sir Knightia

Dear Fossil Forum fans and friends,

I am really enjoying working on my Green River Fish 'do it yourself' prep kits. I am wondering, do you have suggestions for other easy to prep fossils? I will probably get a dremel tool this year's end, but not an air scribe.

I asked a nice Utah quarry man if he could ship me some Wheeler Shale material I could sift through, but it was too expensive, because of shipping all that rock.

Moroccan Trilos, could I do them at all with a dremel? Sometimes I see unprepped ones on Ebay.

I understand that Washington Crab nodules are one of the hardest substances on earth, ha ha, so I guess I can't be doing those.

Can you suggest any easy to get material besides Green River Fish I could look into prepping?

Thank you:)

Gerard

my favorite are unprepped moroccan shark teeth in matrix. they're quite easy to prep. i did mine mostly with a dremel tool. the moroccan matrix on the shark teeth and mosasaur teeth seems pretty soft compared to the fossil itself which makes for easier prepping. not sure on the trilobites though, haven't tried that one yet.

He's got it; Moroccan otodus teeth are great for that sort of thing; cheap, easy to prep and great fossils.

Grand! Now, I just need to find a source of unprepped Moroccan teeth. I'll check the shark tooth dealers on the web, if any of you know of any sources, please let me know, 'kay? Thanks for your help!

Gerard

Some fern fossils in shale can be split pretty easy too because of the material of the roack and how it is layered ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

please let me know if you can find any unprepped mosasaur teeth :)

-emily

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

please let me know if you can find any unprepped mosasaur teeth :)

-emily

I found this place on the internet, Spencer's Lapidary that sells fossils prepared so they are still in the matrix. Mixed feelings, the piece is already 'finished', but one could do more work to remove the matrix. $30 for a mosasaur tooth in matrix doesn't seem unreasonable, have emailed them to find out if they can get completely unprepped Mosasaur and Shark Teeth in Matrix.

---Gerard

Spencer's Mosasaur

while we're on the topic of moroccan fossil in matrix, most of the matrix is not real and the fossils were set into it. that mosasaur tooth is real, but the matrix doesn't appear real to me. if you go to "related items," where it says XLARGE otodus tooth in matrix, the matrix is real, but the tooth is basically completely putty. the pink part that you see on the tooth is where they repaired it with putty.

hmm it does look a little sketchy with the rock filled in with matrix.

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

i've been looking around... seems like ebay's the way to go. as long as it looks legitimate.

the real moroccan matrix will normally have many little weirdnesses in it. the rock is kind of sparkly, and has white chunks etc in it.

example of real matrix:

http://www.jejufossil.co.kr/jnbd/upload/exhibition/1W_05_9.JPG

most common type of not completely original moroccan fossil:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.parkcityfossils.com/pcfg/pcfg_9.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.parkcityfossils.com/pcfg-show-fossils.htm&usg=__xaRHWmqJkKJSIpgJKmE_H49r0oc=&h=404&w=1024&sz=56&hl=en&start=31&um=1&tbnid=Qto7aO212OtN7M:&tbnh=59&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmoroccan%2Bmosasaur%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1

the "fake" mosasaur material normally consists of real teeth that are set into a type of "matrix" with bones that they carve to resemble the shape of a jaw.

i bought this piece as it was only half exposed in the matrix. took about three hours to prep. :)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=6906

Edited by Tracer Jr.

White River vertebrate fossils are pretty straight forward in their prep. They can be a bit pricey, but are a heck of a lot of fun to work with.

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.