Questions about mineral wells Fossil Park finds

Generalnotes

The first two photos are examples of some stuff I found at mineral wells Fossil Park in Texas. I would like to know if anyone else has found these shells. I am interested to see if anyone can show me about how long the little protrusions that are found on the outside of the shell can get. (Example in 3rd photo). And I am also interested to know if these two types of shells are actually the top and bottom of the same creature ( as shown in the 4th and 5th photo where I put two of the shells of similar size together).

20191130_122738.jpg

20191130_122838.jpg

20191130_123351~2.jpg

20191130_123011.jpg

20191130_123808.jpg

Welcome to the Forum!  What you have are two different fossil Brachiopods. The first row is a type that belongs to the Productid group of brachiopods and the spines varied in length from mm. to cm. On some species they could get to be an inch or longer.  The shells are typically very convex of concave (depending on the valve) so that they look like a cup.  Yours might be Marginifera sp.?

The second row of of brachiopods is a different species, possibly a species of Composita.

The definitely do not go together to make a complete fossil but that is a good theory when you don't know what you have found.

Here is a good webpage which has more fossils from the Texas Pennsylvanian listed.

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thank you for the informative reply. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you also for the web link. Great info there also!

Very nice fossils from Mineral Wells and I believe @Shamalama has provided you all the proper answers. I just wanted to give you one more link that may help you with other Pennsylvanian material from Texas. This is a study group associated with the Dallas Paleo Society and if you scroll down just a bit you will find a series of files by Dr. Ben Neumann on various fossil groups wth most of the identified species illustrated. DPS TPSG

• I found this Informative 1