Russian Trilobite With Missing Eye

Dicranurus

I have this broken Asaphus intermedius and I would like to fix missing eye. What material I can use and should I make first cast of other eye and then use it??

post-1446-12579449714042_thumb.jpg

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Bondo (automotive body filler) is very easy to use and also to carve after it sets. that is what i would use. here is a trilo with a similar problem that i fixed for a friend. it is quite small so the detail is not great, but most would never notice. i didn't get any really good after pics but you get the idea.

Brock

post-37-12579500348857_thumb.jpg

post-37-12579500406471_thumb.jpg

post-37-12579500464101_thumb.jpg

post-37-12579500556124_thumb.jpg

post-37-12579500609282_thumb.jpg

post-37-12579500669935_thumb.jpg

post-37-12579500760364_thumb.jpg

post-37-12579500811123_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

In my opinion i would leave it as is, because its more valuable that way. But if you realy want to repair it I would take it to a profesional to get it fixed instead of fixing it yourself, but i have know idea how much experiance you have with this stuff.

-Frozen

In my opinion i would leave it as is, because its more valuable that way. But if you realy want to repair it I would take it to a profesional to get it fixed instead of fixing it yourself, but i have know idea how much experiance you have with this stuff.

-Frozen

Thanks for you opinion. In finland we don't have "professionals" because we have only one isolated island where you can find (ordovician) fossils. Here is only one "semi-professional" guy who preps trilobites with nail and hammer. :angry: He is working with co-partner with Finnish museum of natural history. I'm not professional but I have better equipments and techniques. We have almost same ordovician trilobite fauna than St. Petersburg, Estonian and Sweden.

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

I have this broken Asaphus intermedius and I would like to fix missing eye. What material I can use and should I make first cast of other eye and then use it??

Check with your local taxidermy supply store. There are several grades of epoxy putty available, including one that takes a high polish and is a good color match for Russian Asaphus.

I would sculpt the epoxy putty to a pretty good match for the other eye. It'll never be perfect; and, if it's too good, the whole specimen will become doubtful to the discerning viewer.

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hey Dicranurus, Looks like brock gave some excellent advice and pictures to boot. Just go on the 'fix it' attack and take your time and do the best you can. You can always start over and do it agian if your not happy with the results, plus look at the experience you will get. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.

RB