Tips for Holiday Season Buying

Troodon

The holiday season is here and I would like to caution all collectors to be extra careful before you purchase.   Over the past year I've seen more dinosaur material improperly identified than ever before and not only from online auction sites but from respected online dealers.    Watch those impulsive purchases and get everything checked out BEFORE you buy.  Lots of great material out there but a few red flags

Red Flag, most dinosaur eggs sold are fake, verify before you buy

Red Flag, lots Spinosaur hand claws are fake or composite, verify before you buy

Red Flag, most dinosaur poo is either not from a dino or is geologic, verify before you buy

Red Flag, verify all Dino material from the Kem Kem lots of nice stuff out there

Red Flag, hadrosaurian or ceratopsian material that is described to a genus/species other than from the Hell Creek/Lance Fm.  

Red flags should include sellers who identify moroccan abelisaurid teeth like the one shown below as RAPTOR or large Nano teeth from the Hell Creek as RAPTOR or Dromaeosaurus.   They are either clueless in properly identifying teeth or trying to be deceptive in their listing.   A red flag either way and raises questions with all the other items they are selling.  

s-l400.jpg.185a68d0798ed59b140742463c2f3b27.jpg

5debc5d581072_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.542d2446e37a6e66fd56d1eb4999c6fa.jpg

If buying dinosaur material from the North America, always ask for the County (if USA) it was found not just the State or Formation.  This helps to verify that the information provided is accurate.  If buying Canadian material verify it comes with a Disposition and obtain a specific locality not just Province.  Montana and Alberta have lots of different Dino sites of different ages and species so knowing specifics helps with an ID 

Always insure you can return the fossil for a full refund "in cash"

Post all interests here and knowledgeable members can help in identification

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all fellow collectors.

• I found this Informative 16

Thanks Frank 

I would like too add that I like the safety net of which PayPal offers. They can help get a refund even if the seller is refusing too. 

cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 3

49 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks Frank 

I would like too add that I like the safety net of which PayPal offers. They can help get a refund even if the seller is refusing too. 

cheers Bobby 

Good point is that just for auction sites or any online purchase 

18 hours ago, Troodon said:

Good point is that just for auction sites or any online purchase 

Where ever PayPal is excepted i think. Also I have used it and claimed on items that have been damaged in transit . :)

• I found this Informative 1

sorry if not allowed, but a antique dealer just asked me about possession and selling of Bear claws in America. She thought that Black Bears was okay? And weather hers were real, to which I said I have no idea but those look to small but maybe a microscope check? 

1 hour ago, Bob Saunders said:

sorry if not allowed, but a antique dealer just asked me about possession and selling of Bear claws in America. She thought that Black Bears was okay? And weather hers were real, to which I said I have no idea but those look to small but maybe a microscope check? 

No idea on the sale but there might be state by state regulations on their  sale.  Check this out, not sure if its current.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.traffic.org/species-reports/traffic_species_mammals62.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjrq6PphKbmAhWVOn0KHSjnDxcQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw29DCPtTMgzVFuTFxh2Eh-9

Screenshot_20191208-052723.thumb.jpg.3fb8096e17d505244ac610d0e9092afb.jpg

Whether hers are real a photo might help posted in the ID section.  Replicas of different types.

product-85-main-main-big-1415039180.jpg.8467e22e620137515c03d8ac2e8c4076.jpg