Shark Tooth Fun, For Everyone!

TourmalineGuy

So, something compelled me to look through my small pile of sharks teeth. They are almost all from Caspersen Beach Florida, which is mostly Miocene/Pliocene, as far as I know. I'll let you know which are from the Peace River, but they're the same age. There are a couple I'm pretty curious about (9 and 10), but I threw in some I just wasn't positive about, so I wanted to check.

Here we go!

1,2, and 3 initially labeled as Lemon Shark, Negaprion brevirostris, but I just wasn't sure because of the curvature. 4 is much more labio-lingually flattened and has worn serrations, so probably Carcharhinidae of some sort.

post-2423-12579780378665_thumb.jpg

5, 6, and 7: Are these sharpnose shark, Rhizoprionodon?

post-2423-1257978497013_thumb.jpg

8: This one I assumed was Megalodon, but its just funny looking. This one is Peace River material

post-2423-12579785664748_thumb.jpg

9: I think this is a pathological tiger shark tooth...but maybe its something else completely

post-2423-12579788341961_thumb.jpg

10: Broken, yes. But what is it? Is it a whale shark tooth? Because if so, I would be quite pleased.

post-2423-12579791765542_thumb.jpg

11, 12, and 13: I don't actually know why I chose to put these up...plus its blurry, sorry :(

post-2423-12579794274284_thumb.jpg

14,15, and 16: I took these out of my Lemon Shark container because of the strange roots. 14 and 15 had extra long roots, and 16 has such a strange curvature to it. Shall I put them back in their previous container?

post-2423-12579794372468_thumb.jpg

17, 18, and 19: Just strange to me, probably teeth from a shark I know, but a different part of its mouth. 17 has serrations, 18 and 19 don't.

post-2423-12579799109975_thumb.jpg

20, 21, and 22: 20 and 21 are probably sand shark teeth, but I just wanted people to take a gander. 22 I'm having a hard time with. This peace river tooth has cusplets and its labial side is very flat. Its not in great shape...so maybe it had serrations, maybe it didn't.

post-2423-12579799203245_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your time!

Well, I can tell you some right off the bat.

1-4 look like Carcharhinus lowers -hard to differentiate between species

8 is whats left of a megalodon

9 could well be a pathologic Tiger shark

10 is NOT a Whale shark, it`s much too big. Whale shark`s are generally only in the 1/4inch (6 mm) or less range

11 looks like a Sandbar Shark (Carcharhinus plumbeus)

12 looks like a Lemon shark

22 could be a mako -Isurus hastalis. It`s not unheard of for juveniles to have cusps

As for the rest, more searching is needed. Some may be pathologic, adding to the fun. Have you checked Elasmo.com, it`s the best site for fossil teeth I know of

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Thanks Northern Sharks,

Yeah, I've been using elasmo. Its still not easy, as I'm sure you know. I originally categorized all my teeth very generally and I've been trying to identify the oddballs. As for #10, I really should have looked at the size listing. That is the one I'm most interested in identifying, if anyone can be of help. It is laterally compressed like the filterfeeding sharks teeth, but its big (~13mm in height). Nice to see you think 11 is a sandbar shark, now I can make a new label, at least tentatively.

Thanks again!

Could #10 be from a marine mammal? In some ways, it's dolphin-like.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Could #10 be Johnlongia sp.? I showed these that look similar to Kinshu Shimada, and he said that might be what these are.

post-40-12579875545807_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Bowkill, From what I can see Johnlongia is from the Cretaceous. Where are yours from, they look really similar.

Auspex, I don't think its dolphin or any mammal. But I've never held a dolphin tooth in hand.

#10 appears to be a broken lower hemipristis(snaggle tooth).Welcome to the forum from another Sarasota hunter!

Dan

Hey, that's a lot closer to likely, Dan the Pool Man. Looking at pictures it looks a lot like a hemipristis parasymphyseal tooth...not sure if thats upper or lower.

Hey, that's a lot closer to likely, Dan the Pool Man. Looking at pictures it looks a lot like a hemipristis parasymphyseal tooth...not sure if thats upper or lower.

Tourmaline Guy,

When I first looked at it, I thought it could also be a broken and worn Squatina but am leaning more toward your identification.

Yes, mine are Cretaceous (Kansas) I didn't consider the time period of your teeth, I just noticed that they looked like mine.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks guys! I'm becoming more confident that it is a hemipristis serra parasymphyseal tooth. There is a picture of one on Black River Fossils.

Alright, the only thing I'd still like answered: 5, 6, and 7...will anyone confirm my identification as Rhizoprionodon?

Hi TourmalineGuy,

You know, I was really interested in your Rhizoprionodon teeth, because they look so much like Sphyrna lewini. Scalloped hammerheads breed in Kaneohe bay, just a few miles from my house, and I grew up fishing and catching the pups all the time. It's a favorite species to me. I used to collect hammerhead shark fossil teeth. Anyway, what I am getting around to is, I was really blessed to get a copy of the reprint article "Smithonian Contributions to Paleobiology" with the Dr. Purdy article "The Neogene sharks, rays, and bony fishes of Lee Creek Mine". I don't collect sharks and rays anymore, would you like the article? It's loose leaf in a paper binder, I can mail it to you if you want. It shows Rhizoprionodon and Sphryna, they look a lot alike. If you haven't read it, maybe it will help? Send me a PM if you would like the article:)

Be blessed!

Gerard

#10 appears to be a broken lower hemipristis(snaggle tooth).Welcome to the forum from another Sarasota hunter!

Dan

Or how about a broken Squatina tooth?

Proportion is very Squatina like, the position of the root,...

The root is just broken on the left and right side, these pieces are very fragile and tend to break real easily.

I was thinking it might be squatina at first, but I don't think its broken on the sides, just the part diagonal the tip.