Paperweightosaurus?

Sir Knightia

2157354870103662668S600x600Q85.jpg

Dear Fossil Forum friends,

I am going through my things trying to streamline my collection, and found this piece. I got it on Ebay last year, but lost the geo info. It's supposed to be a Charonosaur bone. Can I get your opinions? I hear a lot about how Ebay dinosaur fossils are dubiously ID'd sometimes, and I'm not even sure a Chinese Charonosaur fossil can be legally auctioned out of the country?

Does this look like a dinosaur bone to you? I'm at a bit of a loss what to do with it. Without the geo-info, it's little more than a paper weight.

I don't suppose anyone wants it? Free to a good home in the USA:) Though I lost the info, Charonosaur hasn't been found in very many areas, so if it is indeed from that marvelous creature, a good guess as to where it should have been found is possible?

Be blessed!

Gerard

Hi there

There it is possible that it is a dinosaur bone it looks kind of like bone

If you had a side shot (ventral) it would be help full

But it sort of looks like a Vertebrae from the end shot (anterior or posterior)

what size is it ?

I did look for the name Charonosaur and came up with nothing :geek:

I agree with Grampa Dino; I need to see a side view to determine if this is indeed a piece of vertebrae. Also, Charonosaurus does not seem to exist, at least not in my lexicon. This makes the piece suspicious as well. What is the size of this bone? Size can also help determine what it might be; I am guessing from the photo that if it is a dinosaur vertebra it might be of a hadrosaur, a sauropod, or even a ceratopsian, since all three of those large dinosaurs were in China during the Mesozoic. But before we jump to conclusions...another view, please? :D

"All the dinosaurs are real, based on fossil evidence. Whether the rest is real depends on you. It belongs in the marble hall, not that of the museum, but of your imagination, the other side of the mirror, the world that is in the end more true."-James Gurney, Preface to Dinotopia

Hello! Thank you very much for replying to my topic! Here is the view you wanted:

2632686060103662668S600x600Q85.jpg

and here is a link to the article about the animal it's supposed to be that I read back when I bid on this:

wikipedia article

You are both very helpful, thank you!

Gerard

That is the first time I've seen that Name (Charonosaur)

I would just say Hadrosaurian caudal vertebrae

from the Late Cretaceous.

Hadrosaurian seems more like it.

Perhaps the other name is from a local dialect or a nick name of some sort.

Maybe it's a typo? "Coronosauria" is the name given to a clade of early ceratopsins.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I don't know of anyone who can ID a single bone

down to the family

that would be the same as saying

what kind of cow you just eat

BBQ Hadrosaur

:bbq:

Ah there we go! Yes, it is a vertebra. Whether ceratopsian or hadrosaurian I cannot say, but you might be in luck--it could be a dinosaur bone. ^_^

"All the dinosaurs are real, based on fossil evidence. Whether the rest is real depends on you. It belongs in the marble hall, not that of the museum, but of your imagination, the other side of the mirror, the world that is in the end more true."-James Gurney, Preface to Dinotopia

Oh and thanks for the Wiki article. I swear there are more finds than ever these days. :blush: