The Best Things In Life

CreekCrawler

Well my buddy Justin "JAX" and me went to an estate sale today.We asked about fossils and rocks and the head man said that all the rocks were free.That's right EFF-ARR-EEE...We scrambled around this backyard like kids in a candy store.Apparently this eccentric lady doctor was a hoarder of sorts.The house was packed full of goodies and she also did some flint knapping.There was flint everywhere in the backyard.Here is my take for the day.There are pieces of PET wood,agates,dino bone and I think two pieces of agatized coral. I'd love for you rock hounds to properly ID some of these pieces for me .

Thanks

Barry

post-417-12580703480799_thumb.jpgpost-417-12580703690721_thumb.jpgpost-417-12580703919101_thumb.jpgpost-417-12580704187941_thumb.jpg

Some More.

Coral?

post-417-12580705120053_thumb.jpgpost-417-1258070530582_thumb.jpg

Dino Bone?

post-417-12580705615706_thumb.jpg

????

This Ammonite section has the original shell material..Way cool!

post-417-12580705815115_thumb.jpg

post-417-12580706002745_thumb.jpg

Edited by CreekCrawler

That's pretty...different! Cool stuff.

Wouldn't you love to know her story? Wow.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's pretty...different! Cool stuff.

Wouldn't you love to know her story? Wow.

Apparently as we overheard some stories from her children that were there.She is not deceased! She simply went to full term Alzheimer's overnight.I heard one of the kids say that she is still as ornery as ever.She was a big fan of all things Indian as she had many curios to prove that.There were beautifully tanned deer hides,old indian pictures,old arrows,many bones,skulls,stuffed deer mounts.One gentleman actually bought a large cardboard box full of extant mammal bones,ewww!

She had a 4 stage sifter system,old Sears metal detector, some fossil fish plates.I would have loved to have known her. Some of the points that she knapped out were really nice. Justin and me looked at each other and said "Gosh That's probably What Our houses Are Going to look Like When We Pass" :D She was a MD!Here is the kicker...I'm going back Saturday to search some more.Should be some great deals!!

Edited by CreekCrawler

Some More.

Coral?

post-417-12580705120053_thumb.jpgpost-417-1258070530582_thumb.jpg

Dino Bone?

post-417-12580705615706_thumb.jpg

????

This Ammonite section has the original shell material..Way cool!

post-417-12580705815115_thumb.jpg

I think those top ones look like agate...

Welcome to the forum!

It's almost like some one I know in Calgary

where even a museum not looking forward to

that person dieing.Just the amount of stuff

he has is a night mare

But it lokks like you landed some good finds: :thumbsu:

A few more.

post-417-12580707157919_thumb.jpgpost-417-1258070751243_thumb.jpg

This piece is really beautiful and i would love to know what it is

post-417-12580707899943_thumb.jpg

that piece your referring to is called bornite aka peacock ore. it's usually from mexico. nice finds by the way.

Those are awesome Barry. I cant wait to see them in person. You are giving them all to me right?:D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Apparently as we overheard some stories from her children that were there.She is not deceased! She simply went to full term Alzheimer's overnight.I heard one of the kids say that she is still as ornery as ever.She was a big fan of all things Indian as she had many curios to prove that.There were beautifully tanned deer hides,old indian pictures,old arrows,many bones,skulls,stuffed deer mounts.One gentleman actually bought a large cardboard box full of extant mammal bones,ewww!

She had a 4 stage sifter system,old Sears metal detector, some fossil fish plates.I would have loved to have known her. Some of the points that she knapped out were really nice. Justin and me looked at each other and said "Gosh That's probably What Our houses Are Going to look Like When We Pass" :D She was a MD!Here is the kicker...I'm going back Saturday to search some more.Should be some great deals!!

Sheesh, too bad I live in MD :( Hopefully you all get good deals on the arrowheads. :wub: Look for Chief blankets ;)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

that piece your referring to is called bornite aka peacock ore. it's usually from mexico. nice finds by the way.

Thanks Lord "O" the Pines,it looks like it.I hope it doesn't degrade like some pyrites do.It's just too nice looking a piece.

The next pieces I'd like to know about are these beauties with gold flakes within them.Anyone want to hazard a guess???

post-417-12580855564808_thumb.jpg

Edited by CreekCrawler

Thanks Lord "O" the Pines,it looks like it.I hope it doesn't degrade like some pyrites do.It's just too nice looking a piece.

The next pieces I'd like to know about are these beauties with gold flakes within them.Anyone want to hazard a guess???

No clue about the gold specs, but if you have one try a short wave UV light on it.

Also the green stone maybe seprentine, but not sure :) I think one of them is fire agate.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

What a great sale it was!! Loaded with all things old! The house was packed top to bottom. The piles of rock in the backyard were huge. And the Flint points that were knapped were crazy huge! All free....

I got a few large pieces of flint, and one large chunk of Obsidian.

you did all that work searching through stuff and hauling it away and didn't charge that guy?! what the heck were you thinkin'?! oh, and the dino bone is. they's never them kind of deals down here in what i call "the land that dallas floods".

What a great sale it was!! Loaded with all things old! The house was packed top to bottom. The piles of rock in the backyard were huge. And the Flint points that were knapped were crazy huge! All free....

I got a few large pieces of flint, and one large chunk of Obsidian.

Justin,remember that large piece that you left out by the curb for me???

I think it's bone :) OH,and happy B-Night!!!!!!

Justin,remember that large piece that you left out by the curb for me???

I think it's bone :) OH,and happy B-Night!!!!!!

No way was that bone. It was huge. I shouldnt have given ya all those nices ones.

I still have that ammo can in my car thats FULL of flint.

If anyone wants to find estate sales in their area:

www.estatesales.net.

I try to hit a few every week. You just never know what you will find!

glad to help. it shouldnt degrade like good ol pyrite...at least not in your lifetime. lol. the two other pieces you have look like quartz and covellite, with some pyrite mixed in. probibly from butte montana. very rare anymore.

Nice haul guys. I was thinking bornite or chalcopyrite. I'll go with lordpiney on bornite. The green one looked a little emerald-ish at first, but probably is not. Is the dark part on the quartz and pyrite mix blueish or silver looking?

Is the dark part on the quartz and pyrite mix blueish or silver looking?

those pieces MD refers to look like Chalcopyrite to me, with the dark areas being tarnished.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

nice finds.

Sorry if I missed it but did anyone ID the second item in the first post? I have something that looks kind of like it that I've been trying to ID.

Thanks

Will