Wrangellian

5 hours ago, crinus said:

Ok, so here is my two American cents.

The first one look like Isorophusella  and could use some prep to be sure. That specimen has a possibility of being Bobcaygeon Fm., but I think it is Verulam.

The second specimen is also Isorophusella but now the matrix is starting to look like the Verulam of the '70/'80's.

The third specimen is Belochthus orthokalus  and the matrix is Verulam.

The fourth is Cryptogoleus chapmani  and it is Verulam.

As mentioned by someone else in the 1970's and '80's the top of the Jim Dick Quarry (then known as the Mara Quarry) in Gamebridge did yield thousands of edrio's from the very top layer of the quarry.  I actually collected those layers (yes, I am old).  The matrix was very distinct with many micro echinoderm pieces as you can see in the third specimen.  This is always a give away that it came from that layer at that time.  Once that layer was gone it was gone.  I have never seen it repeated in the quarry.  edrios were still found throughout the quarry but not like that one layer. That is why I think your first is also Verulam.

That is an error on my web page that I really need to fix. It has been wrong for a long time.  It should say Verulam and not Bobcaygeon.  In that specimen you can also see that very distinct Verulam layer that occured is ancient history (1970's).

Joe

Thanks Joe. I think that clears it up a lot.

I should mention, because it's not clear by the photos, in person the matrix all appears to be the same sort of coarse-grained dark limestone where it is freshly broken, but the 1st and 3rd specimen have a pale greenish weathered surface on top. I don't know if that means anything or not, stratigraphically, or is it just a weathered surface?

8 hours ago, grandpa said:

So, are ANY of them open to fossil collecting?

Sadly, No. :( The grand old days of collecting the Ordovician in Ontario are far behind us now. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer