Peace River Help!

Viking

Hello all,

Im making my first trip to the peace river and boy am i exicited! I was hoping some of you can help me out. I have recieved my fossil collecting permit and familairzd myself with the regulations. I would like some pointers on where to go. I suppose a general map is probably asking to much, but can hurt to ask! I will be going around the zolfo springs area but can travel and will have my kayak. I understand the you cannot dig w/ a shovel on state land, so what is the most productive method to use? Does anyone know where you can legally dig? I am spoiled by being able to use one here. Do you think the 1/4" or 1/2" mesh is better?

Thanks everyone.

1/4 inch mesh is best for the Peace River. Some friends of mine like to put a 1/2 inch mesh over top of the 1/4 inch, to catch the larger stuff faster.

You are not allowed to use a full size shovel to dig. That being said, I have never seen a fossil hunter who follows that rule. Everyone brings a full size shovel of the type you might use to dig a hole to plant a tree in your yard.

Lastly, I don't have any advice for where to dig, because the season is just getting geared up again. The high, fast waters running all summer have shifted the sands, exposing some new spots, and covering up some old spots. You're on your own in regards to finding the spot. :) Good Luck and Happy Hunting !

My best advice would be to use the kayak and get away from areas accessible to the public by land. I made the mistake of staying close to a park when I went - it was totally hunted out.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I hunt the Peace, but further down river towards Arcadia. You really don't have to have a spot. With your kayak, you have a huge advantage. Find any river access spot, bridge, ramp, park, and paddle to an area that is not accessible by land. Look for signs of gravel showing through the sand, or on the banks. Start your digging with the long handled shovel.

I use 1/4" mesh. Window screen can also find you some treasures. Sometimes I will bring home a small bucket of what makes it through the 1/4". Sift through it to find tiny teeth and fossils.

Can't wait to see your finds. I will be hitting the river in a week or so.

Good luck.

Pentax Optio W60

You might want to take along some sort of probe that you can poke around in the sand to see if a gravel bed lies just beneath. Anything thin and rigid should do. I sometimes use a golf club handle, but I preffer a thin fiberglass shaft like you might find on one of those 4ft reflectors some people put at the end of their driveways. It makes different sounds when it contacts different materials. I never go hunting without mine.

I'm not familiar with the Zolfo area of the Peace, but the advice given earlier seems dead on to me. Good Luck!

Thanks

I thought of another question. I have to admit im a real baby. I dont want to become an alligators dinner though. What advice can you give in this area? How shallow will they go to eat you? I know the chances of getting bit are slim, but it can hurt to take precautions.

thanks!

Alligators, and sharks, don't eat people. I take kids in the river all the time. Some of them aren't mine, so I become a little more cautious. I try to stay in large, shallow areas, where I can see that there are no gators around. When the river is really low, I rarely see gators. I usually bring my dog, and he walks the river a distance away from us sometimes too. I don't know how deep it is in ZS, but further south it is easy to scout an area to be free of gators.

One day last year I was in Gardener, and there was a large canoe group with lots of kids. They were spread all over the river, some by themselves. No gators to be seen. The very next day, in the same spot, there was an 8 footer. They don't want to be around people.

I will be headed out to Gardner on Sunday. My first trip of the season.

Thanks for posting and getting me excited.

Pentax Optio W60

Good luck on your hunt and dont forget to take pictures.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks

I thought of another question. I have to admit im a real baby. I dont want to become an alligators dinner though. What advice can you give in this area? How shallow will they go to eat you? I know the chances of getting bit are slim, but it can hurt to take precautions.

thanks!

Well, it always a good idea to stand with your back to the bank of the river with your shovel and/or sifter between you and a stalking 10-foot 'gator. A T-handle probe such as 'Psylus' suggested serves the same purpose. Of course, it's always when you have buried the tip of the probe into the bottom that the 'gator strikes!

When you don't have anything between you and a hungry 'gator, I recommend the ol' kazoo strategy.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

It's not entirely true that they don't eat people (or at least attempt to), so I would stay alert. I was down there kayaking in some of the parks with huge gator populations a few years ago. We had no problems but there were several attacks around the same time. Here's some info for what it's worth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_alligator_attacks_in_the_United_States_by_decade

I'd also be real careful taking a dog; my brother (who has lived there for many years) knew several people who lost dogs to gators.

Also, here's an interesting story about a man who got away:

Man Punches Gator Until He Is Released

POSTED: Monday, May 17,

A pastor at the First United Methodist Church in Lutz, Fla., is recovering Monday after being attacked and pulled under the water by a 6-foot alligator.

Rick Cabot was going for a morning swim in a nearby lake as part of his triathalon training when he said he felt a gator bite him and then pull him under.

Cabot said he punched the alligator on the nose until he was released.

"I don't know if it was trying to kill me -- it could have done a better job," Cabot said. "I was underwater this whole time, but I don't remember ever feeling panicked or short of breath or anything. I do remember thinking, 'I cannot believe a gator has my leg,' and I think that's when I punched it in the nose."

The pastor's leg will likely need surgery but he is expected to make a full recovery.

Attacks are rare given that there are so many gators in FL (1.5 million or more). But, since you asked, here's a non-sensational article aimed at golfers in Tampa:

What to do

Much has been written about how to avoid alligator attacks, but what do you do when a 10-footer grabs your leg?

Most attacks occur in residential areas canals, lakes, golf course ponds. Attacks in wilderness areas are rare. If you are attacked, fight back. They are looking for easy prey, so if you struggle, you are more likely to get away. Go for the most vulnerable part on the alligator's body: the snout. Kick, punch, scratch, yell, scream and gouge its eyes. Try to stay above or out of the water, because once the gator gets you below the surface, it's all over.

Also, alligators are generally more active at dusk and dawn. But during the winter months they tend to slow their feeding habits.

Keep your distance

Alligators have brains the size of walnuts, but they do know one thing. If they see an animal (or human) at the same place day after day, they know where to go when they are hungry. On courses, golfers are hanging around the edges of lakes and ponds every day.

Use your judgment. Sure, an alligator probably isn't going to attack, but just know there could be one lurking in the weeds.

"When animals attack, they don't give away their location,'' Gary Morse, a spokesperson for the FWC, said. "And if an animal is growling at you, it's telling you to get away. It doesn't want to attack. The problem for golfers is that the alligators are probably hiding in the weeds or just under the surface. There should be a rule that if your ball is on the shoreline, you get two club lengths and a free drop because, after all, it's just a Maxfli or a Titleist. Bottom line is golfers should be careful around golf course lakes and ponds.''

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/golf/tips-for-golfers-especially-in-florida-who-have-confrontations-with/1044088

Here's a document put out by the State:

http://myfwc.org/docs/WildlifeHabitats/Alligator_Living_with_alligators_ppt.pdf

Edited by Haddy

alligators and sharks certainly do attack people, and alligator attacks are fatal a larger percentage of the time than shark attacks.

for those who wish to minimize their chance of suffering a horrible fate, but who still feel compelled to step down a notch on the food chain temporarily in pursuit of mineralized bits of those who've gone before, they should study the environmental variables that increase the likelihood of a problem and eliminate those variables from the equation. time of day, time of year, water depth, water clarity, other available food sources in the area, previous attacks in the area, other people and activity in the area, cuts or blood in the water, color of clothing, etc.

to me, it's always interesting to note the extreme risk-taking behavior of some. the human mind seems at times to have an "it-can't-happen-to-me" bias to keep us all from being hopelessly paranoid all the time. but that doesn't mean nothing's out to get you.

Thanks

thanks!

Alligators can become dangerous when people feed them. The people of the Peace River area are smart and don't feed them. You won't have a problem with an alligator. In case I ever do have a problem with alligators, I bring my girlfriend hunting with me. If we have a problem with an alligator, I don't have to outrun the alligator, I just have to outrun my girlfriend. :o

Thanks

thanks!

Honestly though, just keep an eye out while digging and sifting. Give each log floating by an extra glance to make sure it doesn't have eyes. Look at the shore for places a gator could be, and look for tail drag marks and flattened down brush. I always try to keep in mind an escape route when digging, where you could get to shore if you had to. You'll be fine. The gators are to be respected, and a little feared. They don't want to be around us and will stay away. If you see any, give them a wide berth.

For what it's worth, I did some fairly extensive recon of the peace over the past few months and can tell you there are lots of gators in that river. That said, I noticed that with rare exception, they don't tend to be in the areas that people frequent, and the ones that are large enough to care about are few, and those seem to only be in large, deep, dark areas with lots of submerged logs that you really wouldn't want to dig in anyway.

I've shared the water with many gators (and also sharks in the gulf) and have come to the conclusion it's not a big deal. It's the thousand other little risks that will more likely do it.

For example, I doubt the croc hunter ever thought a Ray would punch his ticket.

Enjoy the peace, watch out for the venomous snakes and monster-sized wild hogs (I approached one of those a bit too quietly yesterday and I think we both about soiled ourselves-those tusks are wicked).

P.s.-in regard to the full-size shovel restriction, even the guides that take groups digging in the river use them. My understanding is it's ok as long as you"re digging in the water, digging on land is a major no-no.

When you don't have anything between you and a hungry 'gator, I recommend the ol' kazoo strategy.

Just in case, I would like the details on this strategy. Does it work on fire ants? That is the creature I have had the most problems with in the river.

Pentax Optio W60

Just in case, I would like the details on this strategy. Does it work on fire ants? That is the creature I have had the most problems with in the river.

'Gators HATE the sound of a kazoo!

The kazoo strategy is to make some loud kazoo noises (music, if you are skilled) every few minutes while you are working or wading in knee-to-waist-deep water. Lurking 'gators will recoil and flee, usually downstream so be aware.

I wear my kazoo on a lanyard around my neck for convenience. The plastic kazoo is lighter weight and is best for this purpose (no rust). Just tuck it in your shirt pocket to keep it out of the way.

When it's time to play my kazoo, I like to shuffle my feet on the bottom, just to create more disturbing (to the 'gators) vibrations. If the water is deep enough, I may slap the water surface in time with the kazoo music and foot-shuffling.

Now, all this may sound like a major distraction from finding fossils . . . and it is. This strategy works best if you have someone with you who will employ these tactics (kazoo playing and foot shuffling) on the beach while you are in the water. The kazoo-player can simulate the surface-slapping by shuffling in the river margin.

A musically-inclined family member works. Or, you can take turns doing "kazoo duty" with your collecting buddies. One person on the beach can protect several fossil hunters in the water.

I have never had a problem with fire ants in the Peace River, but I know that they can and do raft in bunches downstream. I don't know if the ol' kazoo strategy would work on fire ants. Probably not. But it's sure effective on 'gators! There is not one recorded case of a 'gator attack on someone playing a kazoo!!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

...When it's time to play my kazoo, I like to shuffle my feet on the bottom, just to create more disturbing (to the 'gators) vibrations. If the water is deep enough, I may slap the water surface in time with the kazoo music and foot-shuffling....

Now there's a You-Tube moment!

Seriously? This sounds so far fetched that I almost feel like you're pulling a "snipe hunt" on us...but I doubt that you are.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Since other hunters might find my secret spots by following the kazoo music, I think I might send out a kazoo decoy to confuse their tracking devices.

Could be fun with a bunch of kids...for a little while.

I will exchange the whistle on my boat for a kazoo, and try it next time I see one.

Pentax Optio W60

Guest Smilodon

FWIW (and one close viewing of a biggun from a kayak was enough for me) my second hand info is that gators rarely, if ever, attack humans in midriver/creek etc. Where they will, if so inclined, go after you is near shore especially if you are getting out of the river.

The one experienced fossil diver friend of mine who was attacked by a gator was almost on land after a dive.

• 2 weeks later...

I am late to this discussion, traveling most of November. I have been into the Peace River 20-25 times this year between Wauchula and Gardner. As noted by others, Gators tend to avoid humans. I have seen a lot of small ones, but in August I was kayaking up Charlie Creek and a large gator came off his basking perch on the left bank and into the 35 foot wide stream. The gator was longer than my 10.5 foot Kayak and I turned tail and ran.

Other advice on depth, speed, and clarity of water is excellent and you need to show common sense.

More for my own foolish sense of well being, I use a 10 foot surveyor stake (with a pointed tip) as a kayak anchor and I purchased a 5.5 inch Scuba knife to insure that I can leave some clear marks on the gator for identification by those who come after.

There have been some 70 fatal gator attacks in Florida in the last 40 years. I figure that I am in far more danger driving I-75 and route 17.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

There have been some 70 fatal gator attacks in Florida in the last 40 years. I figure that I am in far more danger driving I-75 and route 17.

well, yeah, but i mean, that's what those other 70 people thought too.

well, yeah, but i mean, that's what those other 70 people thought too.

smile -- You know that I am going to be real ##### that I was so stupid, if I am the unfortunate 71st -- Everything is clearer in the rear view mirror.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

smile -- You know that I am going to be real ##### that I was so stupid, if I am the unfortunate 71st -- Everything is clearer in the rear view mirror.

well, it isn't that i don't believe in odds. it's just that i feel like there don't have to be many people killed by any given method. if one of them is me, it's still a big deal. i just do not at all have that cool "i'm special and bad snarge don't happen to me" mind shield. don't have it at all. darn it. i get real jealous of all the people i meet who do have that. sure would be relaxin'.