First hunt with my daughter

FlyingRPh

Hello from Kansas again. As I posted yesterday in the intro section, my 10yo daughter has stated an interest in fossil collecting. So, I took her out to known spot with a couple thick shale members in the lower part of the Virgilian Stage, so ~305million. We were actually searching the Stull Shale to be exact. Luckily, it had rained a decent amount a few days ago so we just examined the runoff spots. It was pretty run of the mill stuff as far as I can gather but she is really excited and wants to do more outings. I might just have created a monster... Although, there are worse things that she could bug me about.

Anyway, on to her finds. I hope I have identified them correctly, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; I do have a college degree but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with paleontology LOL. I will also post a couple that I am having problems with in the ID section. For reference, all specimens are 2-3cm in length.

Crinoids.thumb.jpg.3c0b0962813ec188f8a480ced5c05a2c.jpg

Crinoids

Neochonetes.thumb.jpg.6665a3acf1f0b9bc306c65886841f6bc.jpg

Neochonetes

Rhombopora.thumb.jpg.3267340c326389a58518ae219a355c77.jpg

Rhombopora

Rugose.thumb.jpg.555476a8205e6ff06d5027f74d3f7f6e.jpg

Rugose coral - Most likely Lophophyllidium, or rare chance of a Caninia tip

• I found this Informative 5

And from a strictly geological point of view, the spillway at the Eureka Lake is a wonderful place to see how different members are shown. This represents one last layers in the Upper Pennsylvania according to the KGS.

5e0d635b06d18_EurekaSpillway.thumb.jpg.81d913ef1e6d8429c3de0ce5cd5c4b06.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Very nice for a first outing! Congrats to you and your daughter. :) There is nothing like getting the kids involved. The enthusiasm and excitement on their face is priceless.  

You have some nice crinoid stem sections. Around here they are typically all broken up into columnal pieces. The ones with evidence of branching are my favorites. :wub:

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Nice finds - congrats!

As for you having created a monster - it's a good thing, because now you have an in-house fossiling buddy! :dinothumb::)

• I found this Informative 1

19 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Very nice for a first outing! Congrats to you and your daughter. :) There is nothing like getting the kids involved. The enthusiasm and excitement on their face is priceless.  

You have some nice crinoid stem sections. Around here they are typically all broken up into columnal pieces. The ones with evidence of branching are my favorites. :wub:

Let me know if you ever want some. That place is chock full of them and I bet it would take very little arm twisting for the youngster to go back!!!

• I found this Informative 1

13 hours ago, Monica said:

Nice finds - congrats!

As for you having created a monster - it's a good thing, because now you have an in-house fossiling buddy! :dinothumb::)

Just trying to round her out some before I lose her to boys and all things middle school... And she enjoys this a lot more than my other historical interests as they are too technical and she gets bored

@FlyingRPh      Are you in Scott City? I was just looking at your fossil hunting trip and caught 'SC Kansas'.  The first time I visited Scott City was way back in August, 1976 where I ran in the inaugural Lake Scott 10km Run. I still have the orange coffee mug they gave for that race. Back in 1999 I also did Bike Across Kansas and we stayed in the gym (no AC and it was hot). Nice area. 

Lots to find out your way. I know Kanopolis Lake and Lake Wilson are far drives but interesting fossils to be found there, too with lots of accessible beach area and exposed formations.

46 minutes ago, Kato said:

@FlyingRPh      Are you in Scott City? I was just looking at your fossil hunting trip and caught 'SC Kansas'.  The first time I visited Scott City was way back in August, 1976 where I ran in the inaugural Lake Scott 10km Run. I still have the orange coffee mug they gave for that race. Back in 1999 I also did Bike Across Kansas and we stayed in the gym (no AC and it was hot). Nice area. 

Lots to find out your way. I know Kanopolis Lake and Lake Wilson are far drives but interesting fossils to be found there, too with lots of accessible beach area and exposed formations.

Actually, SC is South Central Kansas. I guess its just a farming reference that has stuck with me. I live just north of Wichita.

Kanopolis is a bit over an hour away and Wilson is about 2 hours. My job takes me out west every week though; not quite to Scott City but to Dodge City, Garden City and Liberal.