Independent Study In Paleontology

emmytee

I came up with the idea to do an independent study in school when I realized that my school's natural history course and the art class I wanted to take didn't fit into my schedule. Therefore, I am going to combine the two and study fossil preparation. I have already run this by a few teachers and the Head of my school and they like the idea, but I must come up with a curriculum. I was thinking of doing some physical prep on some Green River fish, but I would also like to try a chemical form of prep, for which I may need to use a different type of fossil. I also plan on hunting some dinosaur tracks and making some casts. I believe I must do some research papers along the way, and if I do chemical prep, I'd write a lab report. Any suggestions for fossils on which I can use mainly chemical prep? Any suggestions for my curriculum?

Thanks for the help!

Emily

Edit: I also plan to make blog posts on TFF to track my progress! :)

Edited by emmytee

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

I have used chemical prep extensively when cleaning up Devonian horn corals (Arcona, Ontario). They eroded out of rotting limestone, still have/had some limestone matrix attached. I use vinegar to loosen up that unwanted limestone and watch the progress of the reaction like a hawk. When I judge it to have done some work, I rinse it off and go at the specimen with a steel probe under the binocular microscope. The coral proper comes out somewhat bleached, but that is not an unpleasant presentation as it gives great contrast with the remaining limestone.

echinoids in marly matrix. echinoid tests are calcite, which is a more stable polymorph of CaCO3 than the limey matrix, so you can get rid of the matrix more with chemical prep without hurting the tests.

cool suggestions! ill be sure to check them out. i just need to find some haha

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

Emmytee,

Some of the more experience collectors have turned me on to RockQuat. I use it on crinoid and blastoid calyx's along with enrolled trilobites.

I've attached some additional information from an article called "Fossil Preparation: A Chemist's Viewpoint" by Larry Osterberger.

If you'd like some RockQuat along with some unprepped fossils let me know.

post-2448-12582477826916_thumb.jpg

Edited by Placoderms

thanks that will be really helpful! do you know what exactly RockQuat is made of? i will need to know it if i write a lab report. i'll send u a pm about the unprepped fossils ;)

cool! i can use that on my goats too hahahaha.

Two techniques come to mind when I think of the chemical preparation of fossils. First is freeing silicified, fossils from limestone. Dilute hydrochloric acid (about 5 wt %) is used to dissolve the limestone freeing the silicified fossils. Second, is the dissolution of a fossil in shale with an acid forming a cavity or mold in the shale. Then the cavity is filled with a latex resin. When the resin solidifies the latex is pulled from the cavity or mold and you have a representation of the animal.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Two techniques come to mind when I think of the chemical preparation of fossils. First is freeing silicified, fossils from limestone. Dilute hydrochloric acid (about 5 wt %) is used to dissolve the limestone freeing the silicified fossils. Second, is the dissolution of a fossil in shale with an acid forming a cavity or mold in the shale. Then the cavity is filled with a latex resin. When the resin solidifies the latex is pulled from the cavity or mold and you have a representation of the animal.

JKFoam

very interesting. thank you!

-Emily

I've used vinegar to dissolve and/or soften calcite-cemented sandstone nodules. If the grain size is small enough, the grains fall away during acid bathing; if the grains are too large, they stay, and can be brushed off, or can be softened for preparation with pneumatic tools.

Bobby

there are a few different methods here, maybe i'll try each of them in my lab experiment and report which works the best!

Guest solius symbiosus

Ditto what jk said. Here is a nice ramos bryozoan that I prepped with a more concentrated HCl. Unfortunately, I don't have a before, but just the tips were exposed.

The bryozoan(trepostomate) is silicified in a carbonate matrix.

post-179-12583618067131_thumb.jpg

Emily, if you're into chemical prep, maybe you should try something like the lady on that 60 mins show was doing, dissolving dino bones in acid. Maybe you will come up with some blood vessels or cellular material. :blink: Seems to me more research is needed in that area and you'd be on the cutting edge of research! :)

Emily, if you're into chemical prep, maybe you should try something like the lady on that 60 mins show was doing, dissolving dino bones in acid. Maybe you will come up with some blood vessels or cellular material. blink.gif Seems to me more research is needed in that area and you'd be on the cutting edge of research! smile.gif

haha i wouldnt dare!

UPDATE:

My independent study has been approved, and I will officially begin on monday. I am writing up a syllabus that should last me until the end of the school year. I have quite a few ideas, but I'll probably run out before the end of the year. I would like to know some of your ideas of different topics for short papers on paleontology.

Looking forward to reading your response!

-Emily

Congratulations! You now stand at the nexus of art and science; show 'em how cool the world is there. B)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!