Stromatoporoid hand-section

Peat Burns

Hi, 

I spent part of the evening cutting and hand-polishing one of the Devonian stromatoporoids I found this summer and thought I'd share the results.  First, a complete specimen (top and bottom of mound):

20200104_213730.thumb.jpg.460dff784c8d7e0ac1904cc5500e1216.jpg

20200104_213714.thumb.jpg.a2e065182e4891e140943d5a4f75ee23.jpg

Here is a cut and hand-polished face (multiple grits of sandpaper followed by polish):

20200104_213401.thumb.jpg.aafb3846d71fe187ae287e416903ba65.jpg

Here is a view through the microscope.  You can see the pillar structure in the layers:

20200104_213645.thumb.jpg.73d1ea81b8bd6e7856c07da42240b572.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Beautiful both in their natural state and the polished cut through is super for seeing the classic pillar structure. 

Where are they from, Tony? 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I’m usually not big on cutting and polishing fossils, but this is an exception. I love how the polishing shows the layering and structure. Looks good! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

What a fine job you did with that! The form is classic and the crossection it icing on the cake. :yay-smiley-1:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Quite impressive.  I also like the idea of "split and polish" while still retaining the original, complete shape.

13 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Beautiful both in their natural state and the polished cut through is super for seeing the classic pillar structure. 

Where are they from, Tony? 

Thanks, Adam

7 hours ago, TqB said:

Beautifully clear structure.

Thanks TqB

3 hours ago, Shamalama said:

What a fine job you did with that! The form is classic and the crossection it icing on the cake. :yay-smiley-1:

Thanks, @Shamalama. By the way, I use your website often. Great job.

2 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Quite impressive.  I also like the idea of "split and polish" while still retaining the original, complete shape.

Thank you.  I saved the whole one pictured above and used one that wasn't as pristine for the section.  The internal structure is particularly well preserved in these, unlike ones I've done from Silurian of N. Michigan and Fairborn, OH

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I’m usually not big on cutting and polishing fossils, but this is an exception. I love how the polishing shows the layering and structure. Looks good! :wub:

Thanks.  I do it almost exclusively for demonstration / identification purposes rather than aesthetics (acetate peels of horn corals, bryozoans, etc.).

• I found this Informative 2