Native American Tool?

edd

found this today in a creek in Gainesville - Fla...could it be a native american tool or something?

post-1674-12582484331297_thumb.jpg

post-1674-12582484654538_thumb.jpg

post-1674-12582485048888_thumb.jpg

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Worthy's right that's a scraper. Great find and good luck find more in the future.

Is it just my monitor or is that scraper the prettiest blue green color.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

i tend to look for flaking patterns on the piece that couldn't have occurred without help, such as alternating flakes on either side. if you look at the edge, it looks wavy or serpentine shaped.

but yeah, it looks like a tool to me too.

So Edd what kind of rock do you think that is? It looks metallic blue green to me....... am I seeing that right?

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

it's blue green in color...rock? i guess flint.

Like barefootgirl, I really like the color of the material on this tool.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It looks like a piece of peacock ore almost.

Alfred North Whithead

Check out the bluish color to the one that I found in Rattlesnake Creek in Gville when I used to live there. (All teeth found in Gainesville in pic)

post-502-12582674639569_thumb.jpg

Flint has a concoidal fracture like glass that is missing in your pix. Additionaly, I see grains of foreign rock in the matrix, something that flint generally lacks. I would expect a scraping tool to possess a sharp edge, such as what flint or obsidian or similar silicate stone would give if properly knapped. Yours has no sharp edge that I can see (to the contrary, the ostensible working edge is rather dull) so its worth as a scraper would be minimal. While native peoples used non - silicate stones as tools, those were restricted to hammering, grinding and related operations, not for cutting or scraping.

I think that your find is serendipitously similar to an actual tool, but likely no more. Sorry, I could well be wrong on that, but that is what I see here. :blush:

maybe it's not flint.in the water when it was wet it looked like glass now that is dry it looks way different...and it does havea really sharp edge, it's hard to see in the photo.

Edited by edd

Most all the tools here in Florida are made of costal chert or coral any flint here would have been brought in by trade. I have many tools choppers,hand axes and scrapers it depends on where (like in running water creeks or rivers) and how much use they had will make the difference in sharpness also the older tools were not as well made as the later tools were also when the native people started to heat treat their material it would change the hardness and colors of it. B)B)B):)

post-23-12583068831042_thumb.jpg

post-23-12583069883512_thumb.jpg

post-23-12583070197231_thumb.jpg

post-23-1258307265135_thumb.jpg

post-23-12583076453325_thumb.jpg

Edited by worthy 55

It's my bone!!!

found this today in a creek in Gainesville - Fla...could it be a native american tool or something?

Looks like a core to me, what is left-over after the stone worker broke off everything else he/she needed.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Ah, if it is a silicate of some kind and possesses a sharp edge than I would concur on its being a scraper. Perhaps the pic doesn't do it justice....'course maybe my eyes are going too.

the tool is clearly worked to have enough of an edge for scraping. one side was worked all across the face to bring the edges down to a reasonable thickness. it would have been just unifacial, but then the other side shows flakes removed around the edge to sharpen it further. in my mind, there is no way that the piece was a leftover not intended to be used. it has been shaped and sharpened for use of some form. one could argue that the owner intended to further refine its edge, but it was worked to have an edge.

I don't have any hesitation in calling this a "chopper" or "scraper." Florida chert can be quite grainy as opposed to the more desirable "waxy" texture (more desirable from the Native American point of view for its knapping quality and durability).

Such tools are abundant in Florida. They may have been used once and left behind at a hunting camp.

Bifaces tend to be later than unifacial (worked on only one side) tools. Finely worked unifaces are likely to be Paleo-Indian tools.

post-42-12584144678965_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Beautiful Find Edd.:)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair