Dog's Breakfast, Which Period And Ids?

west99

Hi everybody,

The attached photo is one from near Port Colborne, Ontario, from a quarry near Lake Ontario. It is a large file, be sure to "maximize" it for more detail. I don't know if the layers are Silurian, Devonian, or other. The "pit" has a 20 foot cliff wall in some places, so maybe both?

I found a dirt-layer, near the top, that houses some complete coral stems and many other little bits. Very cool. One of the shells also came from this layer.

post-2323-12583791026828_thumb.jpgFor the shells, what I think they are:

1. Platyceras (bottom of 3 snail-like fossils)

2. Pustulatia (in brown rock, with lots of stem-litter around it)

3. Trachypora Stem (twig-like one, bottom right of photo)

4. Euomphalus (top left of the 3 snail like ones)

5. Tropidodiscus: (top right of the 3 snail like ones)

And a host of other goodies.

post-2323-12583791026828_thumb.jpg

The rock formation at Port Colborne is Detroit River Group (Mid Devonian)... as you go north ie away from the Lake Erie the rock gets older Bois Blanc Formation ( Lower Devonian), Bertie Formation ( Upper Silurian).....Silina Formation (Upper Silurian) by the time you reach Welland. (from Geological Highway Map of Southern Ontario 1979) PL

The rock formation at Port Colborne is Detroit River Group (Mid Devonian)... as you go north ie away from the Lake Erie the rock gets older Bois Blanc Formation ( Lower Devonian), Bertie Formation ( Upper Silurian).....Silina Formation (Upper Silurian) by the time you reach Welland. (from Geological Highway Map of Southern Ontario 1979) PL

Do you know of any good spots in the area? I just posted a possible hunt on Sunday, November 29th.

Great finds!!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Do you know of any good spots in the area? I just posted a possible hunt on Sunday, November 29th.

The whole Niagara Gorge is one rich fossil deposit but is governed by the Niagara Parks and as such you can not legally collect any fossils in that region :( Best thing you can do is to join a local rock collecting organization http://www.ccfms.ca/

and they should be able to point you in the right direction with regards to various collecting sites. PL