A Very Strange Fossil From Alberta

west99

I've had this bone for about 15 years, found it in the Horseshoe canyon area of the Alberta badlands, and other than knowing it is some kind of fossilized bone, I have no idea what kind. I have many teeth from various predatory dinosaurs, I have a section

What is really odd are the almost perfectly straight lines on the one side. Could they be tooth grooves from a predator? Is it a herbivorous tooth I've never seen?

Westpost-2323-12583952690775_thumb.jpg

I love this forum: 15 year mystery solved in less than an hour! Thank you! This does seem to be a lower jaw fragment of the grinding plate, minus the teeth. I found a couple of photos online, thanks to you clues, that look just like it.

Nice to know what you have... Thanks!

I love this forum: 15 year mystery solved in less than an hour! Thank you! This does seem to be a lower jaw fragment of the grinding plate, minus the teeth. I found a couple of photos online, thanks to you clues, that look just like it.

Nice to know what you have... Thanks!

Ain't it great? The longer you stick around, the more your IQ goes up, unlike 99.9% of other websites...

Just for the yeck of it

The jaw fragment on the Left has teeth fragment

one on the Right is just the jaw bone

Wait till you find a complete jaw with teeth :jig:

post-310-12584079274673_thumb.jpg

Edited by grampa dino

Just for the yeck of it

The jaw fragment on the Left has teeth fragment

one on the Right is just the jaw bone

Wait till you find a complete jaw with teeth :jig:

Okay, now you've made me jealous, thanks! I lived in Alberta for most of my youth, and have quite a few bones. I have a cross section of a thigh bone (no idea what kind, just big and lovely). I miss the badlands so much! But I'm getting a kick out of some Silurian/Devonian fossil beds near where I live. No dinos, but plenty of snails/trilobites.

Thanks for the pic, and for explaining my mystery fossil.

Ain't it great? The longer you stick around, the more your IQ goes up, unlike 99.9% of other websites...

Yes, it is nice to have a forum that teaches you something. It's strangely addictive however. I want to give up my day. Okay, I'll confess, I've felt that way since having a day job. rolleyes.gif

I agree with the above, but that is a very nice find!

Thanks! When I first found it I thought it was from a piece of machinery, the lines were just so perfect, I didn't think it could have been natural. But when I picked it up, and saw the clear bone material typical of the area, I was excited. Took me until today to know what it was!

Thanks! When I first found it I thought it was from a piece of machinery, the lines were just so perfect, I didn't think it could have been natural. But when I picked it up, and saw the clear bone material typical of the area, I was excited. Took me until today to know what it was!

You're now living the dream my friend. :) Lets hope you have some more great finds.