Quiz - What Is This Thing From The Peace River?

Harry Pristis

Bone Pathology from the Peace River  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What is this lump of bone from the Peace River?

• a gator skull?
    • a gator vertebra?
    • a giant ground sloth toe bone?
    • an elephant ankle bone?
    • a dire wolf scapula?

Here we go. I am pretty confident that I know what this bone represents . . . I'd like to know what you think. Everyone, including experienced vert collectors are invited to take a whack at this one.

This lump of bone came out of the Peace River, so we can predict that it is no older than Late Miocene. It is totally mineralized, though it took a beating at some time(s). It is pathological -- this was an animal with a severe bone infection. (Honestly, I get a bit queasy when I think about how this animal suffered!) :(

What I'm looking for is an ID of the critter and an ID of the bone. Give us your logic for any guess -- a guess based on size will not win a Golden Kudo! :mellow:

post-42-1258416552361_thumb.jpgpost-42-12584166521521_thumb.jpg

Two more images in another post:

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

gator skull...?

Edited by edd

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

I would only be guessing that its part of the lumbar or sacral vert segment of a gator.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I got it! It was a one eyed one horned flying purple people eater!;):D

Or maybe it is the top of a gator skull and you can see some of the pattern in the 3rd picture. Im trying here but I have no reference material except the internet.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

the characteristic "dimpling" or whatever it's called of the external surface of a gator's skull. and the foramena, although distorted, seem only to possibly jibe with the squamosal, by a process (pun intended) of elimination of other bones, most of are easy to eliminate as they do not have multiple openings at all in them.

link

I got it! It was a one eyed one horned flying purple people eater!;):D

Or maybe it is the top of a gator skull and you can see some of the pattern in the 3rd picture. Im trying here but I have no reference material except the internet.

Good observation, 'barefootgirl'! Though 'edd' had the ID right, he didn't provide his logic. So, a Golden Kudo to 'barefootgirl'!

post-42-12584715166924_thumb.jpg

This is the basicranium of a crocodilian, likely from an Alligator mississippiensis.

post-42-1258471328279_thumb.jpgpost-42-12584713976277_thumb.jpgpost-42-1258471433987_thumb.jpg

Thanks for taking the quiz. I thought this one would be more difficult than it was.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

congrats, bfg!

technical point, since the specimen's "tell-tale" surface is dorsal, (squamosal, fused parietals, supraoccipital, or whatever it is), and since the rest of the specimen doesn't comprise all of the ventral or lower bones, it seems a stretch to consider it a "basicranium". i'd probably call it a "chunk out of the back area of a gator skull".

good reference info

Thanks Harry, I actually tried to learn something from this little lesson and studied many alligator and crocodile skulls on the internet. :)

Alfred North Whithead

It would have taken more than paleotylenol to relieve the pain this poor gator suffered through. :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That would depend on the virulence of the infection.

This is something I've always wondered about, me thinks it is time to call up one of my medical field buddies.