Marl, Marl And More Marl ..... Ohh And A Fossil !

Just Bob

It was a slow weekend so i thought hey why not make some mud pies today and see if i cant find any fossils in the process. Some how i was able to convince my kind and patient and by the end of the day muddy bother :P to come with me. So we stopped by our local marl pit from the Navasink Formation and started the search. Not to much luck today but we did manage a few finds. One was this nice piece of wood that still has the bore holes of the worms in it. This is the only piece i have ever recovered out of here that did not just fall apart on me. On a side note i also spotted a real nice piece of Vivianite (also a frist) that i didn't pick up right away, thinking i will pick it up on my way back. Guess what... i couldn't find it on the way back. :angry: That will be a lesson learned.

post-2410-12584261934014_thumb.jpg

post-2410-12584262176362_thumb.jpg

post-2410-12584265797941_thumb.jpg

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Looks like you could get good and dirty there!

Bird bones are known from the Navesink; ever find any?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

nice to finally put a face to the messages! lol. nice chunk of lignite too. how large is it

Here's another pic to judge. It was a bit bigger but it fell and broke. Opps :blush:

post-2410-1258428925791_thumb.jpg

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Looks like you could get good and dirty there!

Bird bones are known from the Navesink; ever find any?

I haven't. But I have only been there 6 or 7 times now. And to be honest it could stick me in the eye and i wouldn't know if it was a bird bone or not. Still learning the ropes. :D

Upton Sinclair

Guest Smilodon

It was a slow weekend so i thought hey why not make some mud pies today and see if i cant find any fossils in the process. Some how i was able to convince my kind and patient and by the end of the day muddy bother :P to come with me. So we stopped by our local marl pit from the Navasink Formation and started the search. Not to much luck today but we did manage a few finds. One was this nice piece of wood that still has the bore holes of the worms in it. This is the only piece i have ever recovered out of here that did not just fall apart on me. On a side note i also spotted a real nice piece of Vivianite (also a frist) that i didn't pick up right away, thinking i will pick it up on my way back. Guess what... i couldn't find it on the way back. :angry: That will be a lesson learned.

Just curious, and believe me this is between just you and me, are you in Inversand?

that place looks like fun to me! Sorry to hear about your lost treasures, Ive left things behind thinking to find them again on my way back and was never able to locate them.....I feel your pain. Good luck on your next hunt.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Just curious, and believe me this is between just you and me, are you in Inversand?

I was asked not to reveal the exact location. ;)

Edited by Just Bob

Upton Sinclair

Word to the wise, there's an organized group trip to Inversand this weekend, the 22nd. Friends of the Jersey Museum trip. They may not look too fondly on trespassers. ;) Just checked, Sunday the 22nd.