Dudeser

Hi! So I was browsing for some shark teeth when I came across this bundle of 3 teeth at a very reasonable price. The teeth were listed as being 2 Otodus Obliquus teeth (smaller ones) and 1 Megalodon tooth. Now the supposed Megalodon tooth is obviously not a Meg, as it has cusps (thinking it's either an Angustidens or Auriculatus). I'm also almost certain the two other teeth are not Otodus teeth. Anyone who can safely ID these teeth?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.6ee20b5f8b6ee303b11f5568d2f8cbeb.jpg

Do you know where they were found?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

3 minutes ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

Do you know where they were found?

No, the listing has almost no info I'm afraid.

I believe the tooth on the left is Carcharodon hastalis. It may be Isurus desori, I have difficulty telling the two apart sometimes. 

The big tooth comes from the Otodus lineage. It looks like the serrations should run all the way to the tip. Probably O. auriculatus (O. poseidoni if you are a splitter). 

The tooth on the right is a lower Carcharodon hastalis. It looks like it has serrations near the base of the crown, but I think that is damage. 

• I found this Informative 3

15 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

I believe the tooth on the left is Carcharodon hastalis. It may be Isurus desori, I have difficulty telling the two apart sometimes. 

The big tooth comes from the Otodus lineage. It looks like the serrations should run all the way to the tip. Probably O. auriculatus (O. poseidoni if you are a splitter). 

The tooth on the right is a lower Carcharodon hastalis. It looks like it has serrations near the base of the crown, but I think that is damage. 

Thank you very much for your help! With what degree of certainty would you say that it's auriculatus and not angustidens? What does one look at to differentiate the two from eachother?

I'm confident it is not an angustidens. The cusps on angustidens do not project out that far and the root is flatter.

• I found this Informative 1