This Is Great Fun, Learning So Much

Infidel

So, I've only been actively looking for fossils about a month now, after stumbling across several ammonite pieces in the riverbed I was fishing. From then on I've stopped fishing and started fossil hunting more frequently. Since I fish so much, I already know many of the areas where I can find bluffs eroded by streams. For the past month I"ve started focussing on fossil hunting, with mixed resulst. It is strange how in one area I can find a lof the littl pea-sized echis, along with the bigger egg sized ones, but then somwhere else on the same creek no too far away, I find nothing.

Lately I've spend many hours searching tall bluffs far a way from anywhere, all for nothing. Yet the small creek near my house is just excellet for small echi's adn some medium ones, other gravel bars I spend and hour on and see nothing. I'mx also finding lots of formatio

ns with nothin in them.

I picked up an anrtica on the local geology and it includes where in my area I can find teh fossil contained in each unit Including places I didn'r know about.

I nave learned tbat what I find in the creek wil look like its been in a tumbler for a few years and I have to find them in natural settings to get good species. Hopefully this Georgetown how-paper will get me into good aras

Also, I just found out that my fishing spot a few minutes awasy, contains one of the complete skeletal refains in the country. Don't know how I've missed it as I have been fising and exploring there a long tim.

Take it easy, but take it

That's a cool to hear you are getting into fossil collecting. I had a similar conversion years ago when walking along a creek with my son and finding ammonite fragments.

Personally I find it hard to pursue more than one hobby at once. I day dream about combo fossil / fishing trips but in practice the fishing poles stay in the trunk and it is just fossil hunting lately. Last time collecting by the lake I got some strange stares from the fisherman, but then later I noticed at least one guy was looking around to figure out what I'm looking around for LOL.

I love to fish but since I started fossil collecting It seems my fishing poles don't get to see the water much. Never thought I would find something I love more than fishing.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Sad to say (well, sorta) I quit fishing many years ago and just go fossicking and rockhounding. :blush: I now do my fishing at the local markets' fish counter. Never even started my son on fishing, just right on to rocks and fossils. Heck, even the wife like that! :D (still gotta throw the stick in the river or lake for the puppy though ;) )

Well, I'm surprised that many of you could actually read what I wrote, due to a combination of being zonked out on Ambien and typing on a laptop with a cursor that likes to jump around.

What I intended to say was that it is interesting how the occurrence and condition of fossils change within the same general area. I've spent the last year exploring miles of the creeks in my area, now that I'm looking for fossils, certain ones only show up in certain places. Yesterday was an unproductive day at work, I spent all of my time on the net researching local geology and found very interesting things. A technical paper was written on the bedrock geology here, with a nice list of where outcrops occur and what fossils could be expected, including a map.

I also learned that one of the oldest complete skeletons ever found in this country, ~10,000 yrs old, was found at one of my fishing/fossil spots no more than a couple of miles from my house.

So, it's all very fascinating.

I love to fish but since I started fossil collecting It seems my fishing poles don't get to see the water much. Never thought I would find something I love more than fishing.

I've never had the patience for fishing but I could search for fossils all day long, it's addictive! :blink::P

Your curiosity has led you to do geologic research; a sure sign that a new paleo-star is born! Keep feeding the hunger to know (but it's still OK to wet a line when the urge strikes). :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Infidel,

That sounds like it's going to be great fun, tracking down the fossil zones and thrill of confirmation and discovery when you unearth the fossils there! Hope you feel better soon, and looking forward to hearing about your future finds!

---Gerard

Well, I'm surprised that many of you could actually read what I wrote, due to a combination of being zonked out on Ambien and typing on a laptop with a cursor that likes to jump around.

What I intended to say was that it is interesting how the occurrence and condition of fossils change within the same general area. I've spent the last year exploring miles of the creeks in my area, now that I'm looking for fossils, certain ones only show up in certain places. Yesterday was an unproductive day at work, I spent all of my time on the net researching local geology and found very interesting things. A technical paper was written on the bedrock geology here, with a nice list of where outcrops occur and what fossils could be expected, including a map.

I also learned that one of the oldest complete skeletons ever found in this country, ~10,000 yrs old, was found at one of my fishing/fossil spots no more than a couple of miles from my house.

So, it's all very fascinating.

Watch out with that Ambien or you might find yourself outside hunting fossils in the middle of the night.:o Good luck with your home schooling and hunting.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Like that old guy 'Chief Dan George' said in "The Outlaw Josey Wales'.."Endeavor to Persevere".. :rolleyes::-) It will pay off!! Good hunting!!

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

Hello Infidel,

Glad you have joined us in our addiction of collecting fossils. :jig: :geek: :startle:

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Like that old guy 'Chief Dan George' said in "The Outlaw Josey Wales'.."Endeavor to Persevere".. :rolleyes::-) It will pay off!! Good hunting!!

~Mike

Great movie! :D

I use that line a lot....still. ;)

Yesterday I explored a new area on my lunch break, found my first intact ammonite and an odd skin/scale/shell looking something. Today I spent a couple of hours on the creek fishing and looking for a camera I lost last week (most of my time is spent bent at the waist looking for fossils, so it fell out almost anywhere). Before leaving the creek I spent 15 minutes at my favorite gravel bar and came up with a coral, a little ehcinoid, and various gastropods.

The creek I fish is only minutes from my house and is basically right here: Wilson-Leonard Site

I spent time today stomping around the entire area and couldn't find any sign of the excavations, it must have been completely covered by the highway. Information I've read says that the entire area probably has similar history, so I'm hopeful to find some artifacts some day.

How exciting!.. Had never heard of it before. Now that is history

and fantastic you live nearby. I think you will find plenty in time

there...

Welcome to the forum!