Amber bearing petrified wood

Txrockett

I don't believe that is amber, but more along the lines of a botryoidal agate or yellow or "honey" calcite. Are you sure that is petrified wood? Can't really see it to be sure.

• I found this Informative 4

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

First things first  - -  Hello, and a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.-_-

As to your specimen, this is a great piece of petrified wood with botryoidal chalcedony, not amber; a very lovely piece.  :wub:

And again, Welcome to the forum.  I look forward to reading more of your posts.:popcorn:

• I found this Informative 4

4 minutes ago, grandpa said:

First things first  - -  Hello, and a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.-_-

As to your specimen, this is a great piece of petrified wood with botryoidal chalcedony, not amber; a very lovely piece.  :wub:

And again, Welcome to the forum.  I look forward to reading more of your posts.:popcorn:

^^^This. :fistbump:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• New Members

We have a lot of petrified palm wood here . I thought at first that’s what it was, and it looks agate, it has crystals on the back side , it’s hard to tell in the pictures.

0718E704-3FE3-4F56-8B1E-CE0427F33A3B.jpeg

3900B1D9-1A4A-4C71-82F2-FE5B6E8A79FD.jpeg

Also, someone correct me here if I'm wrong, but amber is normally associated with coalified woods rather than lithified woods as in your example.

Welcome and interesting specimen! May I ask where it was found? Botryoidal chalcedony and petrified wood are found in association at the famous Blue Forest locality in Eden Valley, Wyoming (typically Schinoxylon-type wood with beautiful blue botryoidal chalcedony and yellow crystalline calcite), but your specimen with a crust of some yellow botryoidal phase looks quite distinct from this type of material. Also, are you sure it is petrified wood? I recognise the fibrous texture in there, but this could also be geologic in nature. Difficult to judge from photographs anyway...

Searching for green in the dark grey.