Ammonite negative impression

Pterygotus

Hello everyone, I recently started to consider prepping some of the ammonites I own but something’s really been puzzling me. When I’m splitting rocks at Lyme Regis, the ammonites have a negative impression which is sort of orange but when prepping, you can see that it’s a very thin layer that flakes off. I’ve seen many preps that have left this on and many that have taken it off. What is this orange layer? Is it shell? And should it be left on while prepping? I’ve left a picture found on the web below.

Many Thanks

3E15610C-E1B4-4319-845E-06A45469CFBE.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

The layer is probably limonite (weathered pyrite).

Thanks, will it need to be kept on the fossil during preparation or not?

45 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Not necessarily.

Thanks again, the stuff does seem to flake off when I use my rotary tool on ammonites :).

4 hours ago, Pterygotus said:

Also, can Paraloid B72 be used as a finishing varnish?

I've never used it myself, but as far as I know, you can. Just read the instructions before you do to get the right % solution. Apparently it's not good to use it on clay.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

8 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I've never used it myself, but as far as I know, you can. Just read the instructions before you do to get the right % solution. Apparently it's not good to use it on clay.

Thanks, I’m not sure about the percentage thing as my paraloid just stays in a lump at the bottom of the acetone :unsure:.

I use paraloid to coat my sensitive, mammal, or fish fossils. I just brush on a coating or two. I use a 1part paraloid to 50 mix myself. There’s a couple ways to mix it some people will suspend the paraloid in the solution but I just drop in the pellets and shake until dissolved.

• I found this Informative 1