I Know....

Guest N.AL.hunter

Guest N.AL.hunter

Foraminifera. Probably Lepidocyclina.

JKFoam

And I thought it would be a hard one to get. Congratulations. Yes these are actually single-celled forams. They are approximately 1 inch in diameter. I posted them so that members can see something unusual. Way to go jkfoam

I never would have guessed?! Ive seen quite a few forams way back when I first started hunting for fossils and even had a book on forams, but most were smaller then a grain of sand. Those are absolutely HUGE!!! Thanks for showing them.

RB

N.Al.Hunter,

I think I may have had an unfair advantage over most. I had collected those forams in South Alabama some years ago. Shown below are some I collected in an Oligocene, Marianna Limestone exposure along Alabama Hiway 15 a few miles south of Jackson, Alabama. Some of those forams get larger than a 50 cent piece. These forams are identified as Lepidocyclina mantelli. Incidently, another large foram I have is Discocyclina sp. The specimen I have I traded for but it came from Egypt and is supposedly common in the limestone blocks used to construct the pyramids.

post-8-12589089675462_thumb.jpg post-8-12589089997316_thumb.jpg

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Is it too late to be the first one who knows absolutely nothing about forams to make a winning entry? :P

Really interesting specimens, both of you; thanks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

JKFoam,

How did you prep yours? Simple brush and water? Thanks for you posting. I found mine very, very close to where you found yours. Hunt safe, Del

Del,

I preped mine simply using a pocket knife and a trimed 3/4 inch paint brush. The matrix where I collected my material was a pretty soft sandstone. More sand than binder! You could pretty well rub the matrix away just using your finger. Other parts of the exposure had a much tougher matrix.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite